Set up pool and now filling with water what now?

Jul 5, 2016
Newcastle
I'm beginning to get overwhlemed and I haven't even started. What do I need to do to get my pool water ready? Its filing now and I don't know what chemicals to start with.. can we swim in it if i put chlorine tabs in it? When is the soonest we cab swim?

You can swim as soon as it is deep enough!

You will need (at a minimum) chlorine and stabilizer and a test kit. Anything else will depend on good test results.

Order of adding chemicals for above ground pool

I have read all the pool school articles and the temporary pool set up article.. I just put up a 15x48 round intex easy set pool ( the one with the inflatable ring). The gallons in the pool is apx 3,736. I did a test last night which showed my FC at 0 and my CYA at 0 and PH was 7.8 I don't have my notes with me but I want to say that the TA was 30. Following the instructions in the pool school and temporary pool since it was freshly filled I added stabilizer to increase my CYA and ran the pump over night. I plan on adding the liquid chlorine which is a 128 gallon at 10% and then running the filter for 30m-1hr. After doing this can I let my kids swim if the test comes back safe? My kids are anxious so swim and so am I!:D I am completely new pool owner. I have never dealt with this before but this site has been very helpful. Am I doing all this correctly?

Re: Order of adding chemicals for above ground pool

Hello! :wave:
1 - Make sure you have stabilizer (CYA). That is required to serve as sunscreen for the FC (bleach) and also buffer the effects of the chlorine to the swimmers and liner. With no CYA, the chlorine is much more potent. You want at least 30 CYA, and with summer here, perhaps 40. (see below)
2 - Until the stabilizer is dissolved, only increase the FC in the new water to about 3 ppm. After that, you can increase to about 4-5; never let it drop below 2.
3 - PH will always be in that 7.5-7.8 zone

That's the BIG 3 right now. Focus on those first.

To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

I'm beginning to get overwhlemed and I haven't even started. What do I need to do to get my pool water ready? Its filing now and I don't know what chemicals to start with.. can we swim in it if i put chlorine tabs in it? When is the soonest we cab swim?

Welcome!!! :D

I felt the exact same way as you did once we got the pool filled...very overwhelmed. It's really easy, just follow the steps that have be mentioned here and you'll have a trouble free pool to enjoy.

So I read this post after adding the liquid chlorine.. I read in a thread to increase the FC to 4... So I added the amount calculated on pool math for 4ppm... I don't think the CYA is fully dissolved yet... Will I have any issues due with this??

Your post was very helpful! I appreciate it. I think I will get the hang of this!:D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.