Picture of my Stained Pool. Worse than I thought..

G

I took a sock filled with Vit-C tablets and drug it around. See streaks at the bottom.
I must have one heckuva lot of iron in my pool because it looked no where near this bad when I first opened pool 2 weeks ago. The troublesome thing for me is that I've used a lot of sequestrant. An entire bottle of Sequa SOL upon closing pool in fall.
Used over a bottle of a product called Staintrite (recommended by pool store) when I first opened pool two weeks ago.
Since then, have used a half-bottle of GLB Sequasol in the last week. So, despite all the sequestrant use, the stains are still rapidly formulating.
After first opening pool, there were only a few of these brownish stains. As you can now see, pretty much the entire bottom and sides are stained.
I must have an out of control iron problem in the water. I'm sure it's the heat exchanger which was replaced last year. That's when stains started appearing.

As you can see, my pool isn't going to win any beauty contests on the TFP introductory picture slide show. :roll:

stained-pool.jpg

Will ascorbic acide remove organic stains?

Everytime my stains get bad enough I treat them with vitamin C and they dissappear for a while. I've always assumed they were metal or iron stains because of the original vitamin c test I performed on them got rid of them. Would the ascorbic acid also be as effective at removing organic stains as metal ones?

Otherwise, I'm caving in again and going to do a very thorough metal stain treatment, along with all the neccessary steps and ingredients. Before I go buying this stuff, just a thought. Obviously, I don't want to use ascorbic acid on organic stains, I'm just curious if it would have the same effect. I'd say it's a very slim chance this is my problem based on the results from last year.

Noticing how so much of the bottom is covered in stain, maybe I never shocked the pool enough?

Stained Pool Bottom

Yes, but what would happen to an organic stain if you put vitamin C on it?

Just for kicks, I think I will put a trichlor puck on one of the stains in the shallow area, just to see what happens.

frustratedpoolmom said:
Absorbic Acid removes metal stains. Elevated FC levels removes Organic Stains.

That's what I thought. Anyway, I put the trichlor puck on a stained portion of the pool and it did nothing just to make sure. I'm going to get going with the vitamin C treatment.

and yes, I'm still using sequestrant and my CH is now up to around 260.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.