Intex Sand filter and making a backwash / drain connection work with a garden hose?

I have the ultra 18 by 52" pool with dual ports going to the filter pump.

The sand filter has the drain port.. obviously when doing a backwash it just comes flooding out like a fire hydrant.

I'd like to connect this up to a garden hose.. and maybe bury the hose as well (or maybe not).. yeah i could use pvc (i've seen some mods that use this, but some of the details were missing i think) and try to make fittings but it seems like thats an accident of leaking waiting to happen and if buried i wouldnt know its leaking?

The intex pump has the non standard 1.5 inch hose i'm pretty sure..

I've seen a few adapters online that may work..

There is the intex 1.5 to push on 1.25 style.. which maybe using a clamp could be modded to then connect to a flexible pump hose then from there to a garden hose somehow? I think the standard thread on a garden hose is about 3/4"?

I see there is a pushon 27 footer 1.25" hose i could get.. if this pushes onto the intex adapter.. i guess having that as the only connector with a clamp would be ok, because i could see if there were leaks, though 27 feet is really not long enough, i'd need 4 of these to make it all the way to my drain to the sewer or more. Probably not the best idea to bury something that can "collapse" though. I guess this is where pvc connection would come in handy if i knew the right parts to get, parts that would be visible all the time for leaks and not buried

Any thoughts..?

Thanks in advance

I would go with the 1.25 flexible hose.The garden hose reduction would cause back pressure and would blow the connection or the gasket seal on your sand filter. I use an extra intex hose I have to the backwash port ,that is connected to the 1.25 flex hose with an intex to 1.25 " adapter.I'll see if I can find a pic.

- - - Updated - - -

that intex 1.5 to push on 1.25 style adaptor you have in your post would work perfectly!

I could be wrong here but I would think the rush of the water is what helps stir up the sand and allow all the captured material to escape. If you restrict it down to a garden hose you will probably lose that volume of water running through to clear the filter.

I bought a pump drain hose from the sump pump section at the hardware store and a box adapter that has been hashed over here many times. Those pieces along with a threaded ring from a standard Intex hose to attach it to my pump. When I'm done I just roll it up and put it away.

Assuming that first adapter you linked to screws onto the drain port, I'd get it, take it to Lowes or HD and find some hose that fits it. You can buy it by the foot, all you need is 1'. attach the hose to the adapter with a hose clamp, then get the fittings for the other end that take it to a hose bib.

image_zpsipk7r3vc.jpeg
Here you go That is an extra intex hose, a 1.5 to 1.25 adaptor and an old 1.25 vac hose. connected to my backwash port. It's a different adapter than the one you are looking at. They didn't have many to choose from 5 years ago when I connected mine.

Oh, also, head's up! Check your backwash port without a cap on it when it is in any position other than " closed". Mine pours water out on all the other settings other than closed. I leave it capped, with gasket, unless I need to backwash.I connect my backwash hose with the multiport in the " closed" position, then turn to "backwash ", start pump,& then " rinse". After backwash, I shut off pump, turn to " closed", disconnect backwash hose, cap backwash port again, turn to filter, then turn pump back on. If the new multi ports still drain water in all positions other than " closed", you will need a valve on your hose coming out to prevent your pool from draining!

I reread your post.
Yes, to bury, you would have to use pvc & install a pvc valve & union.
To just connect every time, just an adaptor & backwash hose ( cheap at walmart) or the vac hose. Also, if you are in a freezing area, blow out any buried line before winter.I have the roll up backwash hose, but I like the vac hose better, for coiling and hanging ease. I don't have to go as far with the water as you though!

Last edited:
I modified a standard Intex hose also. I cut the "flange" off of one end. Slide the gray "nut" off. Got some of the standard flat blue discharge hose. It fit perfectly over the end of the Intex hose I modified; and attached with a hose clamp. Luckily I don't need to backwash very often, keep it rolled up in my pool shed.

Assuming that first adapter you linked to screws onto the drain port, I'd get it, take it to Lowes or HD and find some hose that fits it. You can buy it by the foot, all you need is 1'. attach the hose to the adapter with a hose clamp, then get the fittings for the other end that take it to a hose bib.

Thanks for the tips thus far.. so with the adapter i linked yeah its only push on style that it takes..

If i'm understanding everyone.. its probably best to not use the 1.25" hose for backwashing, to get that extra push out that is needed straight out of the cap?

I dont think ill bury this.. too much extra hassle and distance.

So the only reason to attach the adapter would be for draining in the fall? Or would the 1.25" opening be enough to allow the pressures to go back down during backwash (i guess testing would find out).

Question is, if i need to get all the way to the front of my house where the sewer drain is, for draining it in fall.. how do i do that.. just interconnect a bunch of hoses together.. longest 1.25" hose i'm seeing is 30 or 40 feet and i need to go alot further(i think), i want to say 60-70 feet.. that would be expensive to buy the length needed.. or is it as suggested, to just find some push on hose that fits at lowes and clamp it down with a metal clamp and be done (as long as its decent width 1.25 etc?) or i guess that doesnt matter if only for draining.

The garden hose is the size we don't believe will work for backwashing.Too small of a diameter and may cause backpressure. 1.25 " vac hose works for me for backwashing. A cheap backwash hose that rolls up will work too. For draining, the drain at the bottom of your pool fits a standard garden hose, which you could take to the front of your property. You may even to decide to leave it up over the winter. Two winters so far for me. No worse for wear. Got to be too much to take down & put back up after 3 years.

You lose quite a lot of water during a backwash. I have a smaller pool, & only backwash for 30 secs. to a minute, then 30 sec rinse.Even then, I'm down an inch or so in my pool & have to refill.If you have no place in your yard to lose that much water, yes, you will need to get long enough backwash hose to the front drain.

You only backwash on occasion. Not that often, unless you are vacuuming alot or a lot of debris in the pool.

Using your backwash for draining in the fall will only drain the pool to the lowest inlet, then you will be sucking air. That's the way I have sped up a drain, but still have a garden hose connected to the bottom drain in the side of the pool.

As you have noticed, while backwashing, the water shoots straight out. Connecting something to it helps to get the water to the ground without shooting in the air!

The garden hose is the size we don't believe will work for backwashing.Too small of a diameter and may cause backpressure. 1.25 " vac hose works for me for backwashing. A cheap backwash hose that rolls up will work too. For draining, the drain at the bottom of your pool fits a standard garden hose, which you could take to the front of your property. You may even to decide to leave it up over the winter. Two winters so far for me. No worse for wear. Got to be too much to take down & put back up after 3 years.

You lose quite a lot of water during a backwash. I have a smaller pool, & only backwash for 30 secs. to a minute, then 30 sec rinse.Even then, I'm down an inch or so in my pool & have to refill.If you have no place in your yard to lose that much water, yes, you will need to get long enough backwash hose to the front drain.

You only backwash on occasion. Not that often, unless you are vacuuming alot or a lot of debris in the pool.

Using your backwash for draining in the fall will only drain the pool to the lowest inlet, then you will be sucking air. That's the way I have sped up a drain, but still have a garden hose connected to the bottom drain in the side of the pool.

As you have noticed, while backwashing, the water shoots straight out. Connecting something to it helps to get the water to the ground without shooting in the air!

Ok, so hopefully this summary is closer to what everyone is saying..

For the backwash.. keep the cap on at all times.. when backwashing use the intex to 1.25 adapter + a rubber flat backwash hose (or vac hose) perhaps.. roll up when done?
**at least as far as amazon goes, i'm not seeing many quality backwash hoses that fold up.. and not too many that are 1.25", most say 2"

For the drain.. either connect to the drain cap on the side or connect to the drain port on the pipe, but somehow if using the pumps drain ill need to find a way to get 60 plus feet to my sewer.. i plan on leaving the pool up in the winter, just drain to below the intake/outtake levels.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I used one similar to this for a season.

Amazon.com : Poolmaster 32170 1-1/2 Garden

Also personally I;d figure out a way to plumb a ball valve onto the backwash line and when I backwashed open the valve, rather than having to reconnect the hose every time.

Yeah thats 1.5 inch though.. so i guess no direct way to interface with the threaded 1.5" that is on the pump.. would it work if using a metal clamp on the 1.25" adapter perhaps, just making sure tight enough?

image_zpsipk7r3vc.jpeg
Here you go That is an extra intex hose, a 1.5 to 1.25 adaptor and an old 1.25 vac hose. connected to my backwash port. It's a different adapter than the one you are looking at. They didn't have many to choose from 5 years ago when I connected mine.

Jumping topic slightly, but i see you are using the sidewall skimmer mod. I have the intex surface wall skimmer, basic one.. I see you can get this wall mount for around $44 (plus i guess pvc pipe and a shut off valve).. any risks with this.. any issues leaking.. how hard is it to cut the whole, how is it done (do you have another thread somewhere with pics of the cutting process and tools used)?

I'm assuming if i go this route, i avoid the issue of having to disconnect the "intex wall skimmer" when using the solar cover and get a better water wall skimmer in the process.. assuming i dont destroy the pool.. also curious on how to judge how high /low to put it in relation to water level.. i assume about 2" of no water to top of the square.

Thanks

Cutting the liner for the skimmer was easy. I traced out the inside frame of the skimmer and cut. Someone on here somewhere installed the skimmer first, then cut the liner out from inside the frame, which would be less scary.( no way to over cut.) Some here have made custom fittings to screw pvc to their original intex inlet & outlets. I tried, they leaked, so I took the original intex pool wall inlet & outlet fittings out, and installed standard hayward 1.5" inlet/ outlet fittings into the pool wall. Now everything 1.5" pvc wise works without modifications. I decided to use intex hoses from the pvc to the pump & SWG. I disconnect it all for the winter & find this a good solution. There is a gray adaptor that goes from 1.5" pvc female thread to intex hose. That is what I used on the end of each pvc end, then intex hose to pump & intex hose from swg to pvc. There are a million different ways folks here have done it. I don't have build pics, but hit the search for " hard plumb intex" to get ideas. The hayward standard pool inlet fittings fit right thru the original round holes in my pool. No cutting. I did add a second return fitting, and did cut a new circle for that outlet.Very easy& I'm a girl, ha ha!

Here's the gray adaptor that threads into 1.5" pvc. You can then attach your intex hose right to it.

image_zpsiom3np0i.jpeg

this threadnis on the first page of above ground pools today. he's the guy that installed the skimmer before cutting the liner.( sorry, I don't know how to link to another thread!)

HacoboPablo
Adding a Hayward Thru-the-Wall Skimmer to Intex Metal Frame Pool (PICS!)

I decided to revisit the pvc pipe idea for backwash/drain..

I guess what i really need is a way to screw a pvc pipe connector onto the 1.5" threads (i do have that push on adapter for converting to 1.25" as well).. but i think its easier to go 1.5 assuming the parts exist.. problem is.. i dont know what these things are called?

IE: Maybe a coupler that i could screw onto the 1.5" thread on the pump, then attach a pvc pipe to that 1.5" in size and make elbows and long run to my street drain.. i'd need around 100 total feet of pvc pipes interconnected.. all i need is to figure out the pump connection side.. i'm assuming i'd use some sort of interconnect to connect pipes together and the area close to the pump.. also assuming i'd need PVC glue for all that..

I figure i can lay it all out, connect it up, test it before burying the pipe and make sure there are no leaks..

It appears my intex sand pump doesnt leak water when on normal filter setting.

edit This coupling adapter has 1.5" threads at lowes.. i think it might work? Then somehow connect regular pvc pipe from there forward? coupled with this standard pipe via glue (slide together) + elbows?

This is what I use. It is a 1,5" to 50mm PVC glue adapter. Fits right on the Intex pump/filter and inlets. ideal for hardpiping. Found it at an online poolstore here in Sweden. Similar should be available elsewhere.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 81
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.