Intermittent Motor noise

May 8, 2007
El Paso, Texas
I replaced the seal between the pump and the motor last year because of a small leak, no problems no rust etc. Now last week the motor has an intermittent humming/grumbling noise (hard to explain) the noise is intermitent, about 15 seconds apart, the noise last about 2 seconds.

Its a whisperflow pump 2 hp, 4 years old, i have ran it about 6 hrs a day

I would like to tear it apart and replace what ever is broke, can anyone tell me is there a repair kit I can get that has "everything" I need, I am suspecting some kind of shaft bearing or seal. and where I could get the kit?

NO water is leaking anywhere from the pump or motor

Thanks

The tools are the bigger issue. Do you have a bearing puller? If not, a motor shop would probably do the bearings for you for $100 or less, which about what you'd spend on parts and equipment.

But that said, it doesn't really sound like a bearing issue to me. Is it any worse when you initially turn the pump on? If you were to put some pressure on it (let's say you put your foot on top of the motor to pin it down a bit) does it change?

spishex,

I went ahead and changed the the shaft seal and the seal on the propeller, got everything back together and the noise is still there but not as much.

You hit the nail on the head when you said " If you were to put some pressure on it (let's say you put your foot on top of the motor to pin it down a bit) does it change?"

When I press down on the back off the motor I do not get any noise, I did notice that the pump is not secured to the concrete pad is this the problem? It has been that way since it was installed 4 yrs ago.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.