Algae surviving over the winter?

Jul 10, 2013
Northern Howell, NJ
I know on the surface the answer to this question seems quite obvious. But I am following another member's thread regarding Mustard Algae coming back year after year and it made me consider the question:

If I have hidden algae when I close the pool for the season is it possible for algae (be it green, mustard, black, red, purple, fuchsia) of any kind to survive a northeast winter?

Pool is always closed with perfect water balance and FC brought up to Shock Level using liquid Bleach. Cover is a safety solid. 100% solid. Not mesh, not a permeable solid. This is a heavy vinyl cover that allows zero light to pass through. In the absence of any light, being subject to freezing temps for months under the cover, and blasted with a 30+ FC upon closing, is it reasonable to surmise that no algae can survive and I should theoretically be opening to an algae free pool every spring?

Freezing isn't going to be a problem for algae. It won't grow, but it will still be there. Algae has been found active in Antarctic ice though most of the time it is just spores waiting for better conditions to grow.

High chlorine will ensure that no algae is alive at closing, but it won't last all winter, and some spores will certainly find their way in under the edges of the cover via wind or bugs dragging them in.

Absence of light will be the most important thing. Algae can't grow without light.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.