Pool Pump Timers

crokett

Jul 17, 2007
Hillsborough, NC
The house we sold I had an Intermatic timer that looked like this:

518hQQfsTfL_grande.jpg

At the new house I have a Woods 59101R timer that looks like this, except it's in an enclosure rated for all weather:

51RutJSB-jL._SY355_.jpg

After using the Woods for a few days, I prefer this style of timer. It's a bit easier to set the time - with the Intermatic to get the set screw tight enough I needed pliers, so changing it meant tools. I've also discovered with the Woods that if I turn it on manually, when its off, it will run until the next interval and get turned off automatically. Handy when adding chemicals like this morning. I added pH increasr then left the house knowing the timer would turn the pump off.

Thanks for the info, it does look a bit easier to operate for sure. Yes, the timer dogs have bit me a few times over the years getting loose. Lotta dog puns there. :) The Intermatic will also shut off at the end of the next cycle when manually turned on.

Thanks for the info, it does look a bit easier to operate for sure. Yes, the timer dogs have bit me a few times over the years getting loose. Lotta dog puns there. :) The Intermatic will also shut off at the end of the next cycle when manually turned on.

I keep a pair of hemostats in the box at the ready to loosen or tighten those timer trigger things.

I may have spoken too soon on this timer. This is the 2nd day that it hasn't turned on when it was supposed to. I had to turn it on. My working theory right now is this is also the second day that I turned the pump on manually via the switch on the timer during the off period. I turned it back off after letting it run for a while so I'm not sure why that would make a difference. Yesterday I was getting some more CYA into the water, today I was backwashing. I will not touch anything tomorrow and see if the timer turns the pump on like it's supposed to. The Intermatic I could do whatever I wanted and it would turn the pump on like it's supposed to.

:) The Intermatic will also shut off at the end of the next cycle when manually turned on.

My timer stopped working (only 18 months old)..but when I read the above.....I wasn't sure what you meant. I had manually turned on the pump with the switch in the timer and after that it wasn't working. The manual for the timer says the manual switch doesn't affect the cycle. But is it possible, my timer isn't broken..? Come to think of it...it was off for more than a day, so it should have reset after I put it back in manual and ran 24 hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.