Damp spot at deep end of gunite every morning. Normal?

goober71

Jun 20, 2016
Houston TX
Hi All,
Gunite was poured for our new pool last week and I have been religiously watering it twice a day for the last 6-7 days. It has been hot here lately and the gunite gets pretty dry during the day. However, when I go out to water it first thing in the morning, there's a damp spot in the bottom at the deep end (where the drain sits). No standing water, but a damp circle about 8-10 feet in diameter. It dries up during the day as the sun hits it.
Is this normal? is this from groundwater seeping up? or should I be worried? Just want to make sure there isn't a problem with the gunite.
Thanks.

G

Should be fine. The gunite needs to allow ground-water into it so your shell does not lift/float. Movement can cause cracking or worse. I had about 6 inches of water in the deep end at all times due to ground water seeping. Congrats on the new pool. Hopefully this crazy weather will give you a fast build from here on.

Totally normal, every time you wet the shell the water that goes down to the deep end will go through the hydro-static valve and dampen the earth below so it stands to reason that part will stay damp as the gunite wicks the moisture back up over time. It is also normal to have several inches to over a foot of standing water in the deep end there is almost no such thing as too much water when you are wetting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.