Safety Cover Installation

Murray16

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Mar 30, 2016
Baltimore, MD
Hello,

We just had our pool built this spring and I'm looking into getting a safety cover. I'm still shopping around for quotes, getting someone to commit to an appointment can be a challenge right now, but I'm contacting about 5 different companies.

Has anyone installed their own safety cover? I have a bumpout for a seat and a tanning ledge, so I know I need a custom cover. Just wondering if anyone has installed their own, or if it's not really worth the hassle or if there is any cost savings.

I also have a question about installation with pavers. I think I need the sleeves for this and not just the short anchors that go into concrete. When pavers are drilled, is a normal hammer drill used? I've heard this is not the best way to drill them and some kind of diamond/wet drill should be used. I've looked a little on line for info on this, but haven't been able to find anything yet.

Thanks,
Walt

I installed mine at the end of last season. It is NOT difficult. I have concrete, so a normal hammer drill worked just fine. With pavers, I think you need something that goes deep into the ground to support the anchors.

All of the bump-outs will have straps on them to attach to anchors, and mine came with a detailed drawing showing the correct placement of the anchors. Really wasn't worth the installation price, twice the cost of the cover itself!

I installed mine and it was well worth the time. I was quoted about $1200 to do the installation. I bought a hammer drill and 3/4" bit and still came out $1000 ahead.

You for sure need the sleeves with pavers. A diamond core drill is probably the best choice, but if you have a spare piece of paver you can see how a hammer drill works.

I installed mine myself, it is on pavers so i did install the sleeves. I just a hammer drill and ran all the way down into the stone, think it was maybe 12-16" deep. The only issue I had was I cracked a few pavers ... some didnt fall dead in the center and trying to drill close to the edged caused cracks. I had extra so was able to get it done with some extra drilling!

Thanks everyone. Does anyone have suggestions or examples of how their safety cover has dealt with a raised wall like in the photo? I'd rather not drill into the tile with wall anchors if not necessary. The entire width of the pool is 16' and there is 45" on either side of the first portion of the raised wall.

Thanks everyone. Does anyone have suggestions or examples of how their safety cover has dealt with a raised wall like in the photo? I'd rather not drill into the tile with wall anchors if not necessary. The entire width of the pool is 16' and there is 45" on either side of the first portion of the raised wall.

Believe it or not, I have the same issue. I do not have a good solution though as i too do not want to drill and add anchors into the wall. What i've done though is I loop cable through all the end cover hooks and pull it upwards towards the deck. I tie the end then to a weight sitting on the deck above. It is NOT a safety cover at that point but does keep out all the winter junk and animals. I've seen cats out on it and even tons of snow at times and it holds great. FYI this photo is not the finished look, there is a wall and fence on the deck above to keep people from going off. :)
2016-05-27%2016.13.30-2.jpg

Thanks Griswald, do you mind if I ask who you ordered your cover through?

Not sure where I ordered it from, but it is an Arctic Armor brand solid with mesh panel cover. The box it came in was really heavy, UPS wasn't real happy!!!

I think 45" away from the wall is OK, my anchors are closer to 36" from the pool edge. The straps are easily shortened as well.

Thanks everyone. SSgumby, do you have a picture of the cover when it's on and how the cable is utilized? I have a pretty good idea what you're talking about, just trying to visualize it.

I've gotten two quotes so far and one said they'd go up and over it, but the other said they'd go in front of and have to drill into the tile, which I'd rather not do. The steps are 6" each so the max height is 1 foot and it spans about 9 feet.

Does anyone have any pictures of how they're covers deal with a raised wall? Just trying to educate myself and see examples so I get what I want.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks everyone. SSgumby, do you have a picture of the cover when it's on and how the cable is utilized? I have a pretty good idea what you're talking about, just trying to visualize it.

I've gotten two quotes so far and one said they'd go up and over it, but the other said they'd go in front of and have to drill into the tile, which I'd rather not do. The steps are 6" each so the max height is 1 foot and it spans about 9 feet.

Does anyone have any pictures of how they're covers deal with a raised wall? Just trying to educate myself and see examples so I get what I want.

I've looked but don't have a photo showing how I have it rigged up. Guess I dont like being out in the cold. :)

Gumby......what is the name of your liner??? Water looks so pretty!
Believe it or not, I have the same issue. I do not have a good solution though as i too do not want to drill and add anchors into the wall. What i've done though is I loop cable through all the end cover hooks and pull it upwards towards the deck. I tie the end then to a weight sitting on the deck above. It is NOT a safety cover at that point but does keep out all the winter junk and animals. I've seen cats out on it and even tons of snow at times and it holds great. FYI this photo is not the finished look, there is a wall and fence on the deck above to keep people from going off. :)
2016-05-27%2016.13.30-2.jpg

Gumby......what is the name of your liner??? Water looks so pretty!

This is a Vynall liner with Travertine Base with the Antique Brick tile.

The base is hard to describe, it is a mix of blue, tan, grey shades in a pattern of what looks like small stones. I wanted tan but loved this when I saw it so went with it and am very happy.

Thanks! I was hoping you'd say tan sierra gold pebble by Latham lol. The boarder looks like said liner. That's what I'm getting. I'd be very happy with your choice as well!! Its very pretty.
This is a Vynall liner with Travertine Base with the Antique Brick tile.

The base is hard to describe, it is a mix of blue, tan, grey shades in a pattern of what looks like small stones. I wanted tan but loved this when I saw it so went with it and am very happy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.