Is Calcium Needed When Marcite Is Bad?

ryanga

Jul 5, 2016
Fort Lauderdale
Hi.....I ahve been told by my local pool shop where I get my chemicals that Calcium is not needed in my pool even though it is extremely low. The pool is old and need to be resurfaced and there are patches where the marcite is going away.

They said since my surface is already damaged in areas that the Calcium is pointless now.

I would like to know your thoughts as I would think it would still help prevent much further damage over the next 5 years before I decide to do the pool.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Despite that it may be a lost cause, I would still keep my CH at 250 - 400 ppm. It is cheap to do and may help a little....there is no harm except the expense.

Welcome to TFP!

Agreed. Maintaining your pool at recommended levels will help to slow further deterioration. If you plan to replaster soon then maybe not. But, if you want to get by for a while longer then definitely get CH up to recommended level. As shown here, Pool School - Recommended Levels

More chemistry info here, ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.