Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA test, dot completely gone?

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA test, dot completely gone?

I did my first CYA test tonight. I "think" it was at 50 but I don't feel 100% sure. Is the black dot supposed to be completely gone, or does seeing it faintly constitute gone?
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA test, dot completely gone?

here is a nice discussion on CYA measurement technique...

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread ... light=test
    25,000 gal IG Utopia pool/Raypack gas heater/BBB

3. Back To Top    #3

The black dot should be completely gone.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

4. Back To Top    #4

Check this out from Taylor Technologies:
    http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Ch...P?ContentID=36
    15x30 IG vinyl liner pool, pool cage
    Hayward S-220T high rate sand filter and Hayward super pump w/1hp motor
    Hayward SwimPure Plus SWG
    Polaris 380 cleaner and booster pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks so much for the replies, and the very helpful links. One thing I did wrong was I thought you were supposed to shake it and wait 30 seconds, then do test. I see that I am supposed to shake for 30 seconds, then do test.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

6. Back To Top    #6

I shake it for 30 seconds, wait, shake it again for 30 seconds then test.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by ideliver
    here is a nice discussion on CYA measurement technique...

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread ... light=test
    I tried this today and finally got a decent reading based on how much CYA Dichlor put into my spa. In the past the Taylor kit would read higher. I also have 4 way test strips that include CYA and it would always have a shade lower than 30 PPM.

Not sure if including these little techiques into the pool school for testing methods for the major factors - but it would save a lot of mis-calculations due to measurment error which leads to over/under dosing of chemicals.

ideliver - Thanks.
    Barry
    Sundance Hot Tub 365 gal, acrylic
    (2) 2.5 hp pumps
    ozonator
    Northwest Ohio resident

8. Back To Top    #8

I would somewhat qualify what was said in the link about how to do the CYA test. You want to mix for 30 seconds (longer is OK, but not necessary) -- no need to shake as you don't want to create lots of bubbles, you just want to mix back-and-forth, back-and-forth, turning it one way, then the other, then back again. The temperature of the water should be around room temperature (normal pool temp is usually OK -- if the water it too cold, then the test may not fully develop in 30 seconds).

As for viewing the tube, I talked to Taylor about this a while ago and the measurement is closest to being correct when you hold the tube in front of you looking straight down (around waste level) with your back to the sun so that the tube is in bright indirect light (if you have to do the test indoors, create bright indirect light). If you view the tube with you facing the sun or the tube otherwise in direct sunlight, then you'll get a reading that is around 10 ppm lower and probably not as accurate, but keep in mind that the test isn't perfect anyway and at least +/- 10 ppm. Nevertheless, performing the test consistently in technique gets you pretty consistent results.

Richard
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"