Chemical Addition Protocol Question

Jun 2, 2016
Madera CA
My current routine is to do my daily testing and chemical additions (liquid 10% chlorine and 31.45% Muriatic acid) shortly after getting home from work at 6:00 p.m.,while it is still light out. I turn on the pump, add the muriatic above a return on the deep end, then the chlorine above a return on the shallow end, run the pump for an hour to mix, and call it good. So, all done in the early evening. As of now, my regular pump cycle is from 11:30 pm to 7:00 a.m. So, the "chemical mix pump run" for an hour earlier in the evening is extra.

The dilemma is that the electricity rates are FAR cheaper after 11:00 pm, so the "chemical mix hour" is costing more than it could. I was contemplating changing my routine, still testing at the usual time, then measuring out what's to be added, but not pouring this into the pool until just before bedtime at 10:30 or so, but not kicking the pump on at that point. Then, the pump would turn on via timer at its usual time at 11:30 to mix. Is there any possible harm to come from leaving the chlorine and/or muriatic undisturbed for this 1-2 hours before the pump kicks on automatically to mix them? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

You can not pour muriatic acid into the pool without mixing it. It's a lot more dense than water and will immediately sink to the bottom and eat away at your plaster. Chlorine is also more dense than water and will bleach out the spot you dump it into if left unmixed.

Is running the pump for an hour ( you could probably get away with 30-45mins) really costing you that much money that it's worth damaging your plaster? If so, then perhaps you should consider switching your single speed pump out for a 2-speed pump that would be more energy efficient. I bet in CA your utility will give you an efficiency rebate if you buy a 2-speed pump.

You must mix the chemicals you add. Whether by pump or pool brush, but you must mix them.

. . . Definitely must be mixed.

I dilute Chlorine and MA about 50% before slowly adding to pool. I pour diluted chlorine into path of return nozzle, and introduce diluted MA at opposite end by slowly submerging container while watching clouds to make sure they disappear by about half depth. Are these procedures okay?

PS: I believe I'm about done adding MA because my pH is staying nearly stable (TA is 60 now down from 100). Of course I'm now considering borates, so maybe not done with MA yet . . .

Thanks for the replies fellas. I have a brand new Pebble Fina finish, and the last thing I want to do is damage it. Just trying to streamline my routine a little bit. Perhaps I will change my pump start time to 10pm and pour my chemicals in right when it turns on, just before bedtime. I would still avoid that extra trip out to the equipment to kick the pump on, and the extra hour of run time. Would pay 25 cents per kwh instead of 9 kwh for an hour or two, but that only amounts to pennies anyway.

Really appreciating this website. I have gone from zero knowledge 45 days ago, to finally somewhat understanding what's going on with my pool. It is quite liberating, and actually a little bit fun.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.