Help with Travertine coping.

Jul 4, 2016
League City, TX
We are having a pool built and are concerned with the grout they used on the coping. We have no experience with travertine but it sure seems like they should have used a grout that was a similar color. It looks dirty and has dark grout in all the pores. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm debating having them tear it out and need help. Thanks

a2aae7950463848eab2be749f51663bf.jpg

72a9ac23fd7544d74729d84432a66d69.jpg
3dda6b262f10ffaff188528bcde12f8d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I'm no expert, but my guess is that the builder uses (or suggests) a darker color to avoid looking dirty when certain areas of the grout inevitably become dirty. Since the dirt may not be consistent across the patio grout, choosing a uniformly dark color could mitigate this issue. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the reply. Using a darker color to avoid it looking dirty makes sense. I just haven't seen any pictures of travertine with dark grout. I was kind of shocked when i came home and seen the pores full of dark grout. Is using a dark color common?

I think it looks like an error. Also in that first picture all your masonry cuts and lines are not lined up correctly at all. I think I'd have them re-do that as well. You are paying a lot of money for a project to be constructed correctly and that's how it should be done.

Meet with the pool builder today. He is going to redo the tops of the 2 colums. He agreed the grey grout highlights the poor workmanship. He said they can grind out the grout and put in a grout that will match the tiles. They will grout the pores with the new grout and it should hide most of the gray.

Any opinions, have them grind it out or leave it alone?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes we will be picking the color. A bit worried that it could end up looking worse. Also there is no way they can get it out of all the pores. They can fill the pores with the new grout but still going to see some dark spots.

That looks like junk-ola in my opinion. Especially the uneven width of the joints...and what is with the odd ball double angle cut?
even if they grind out the joints, it will still be in the pores and will look odd. I say you have to live with it now. I'd want to know what kind of grout it is. Is it epoxy?? That is really the most important issue now (in my opinion).

check Lacticrete Epoxy Grouts - LATICRETE

That looks like junk-ola in my opinion. Especially the uneven width of the joints...and what is with the odd ball double angle cut?
even if they grind out the joints, it will still be in the pores and will look odd. I say you have to live with it now. I'd want to know what kind of grout it is. Is it epoxy?? That is really the most important issue now (in my opinion).

check Lacticrete Epoxy Grouts - LATICRETE
I think your right Frank, I'm gonna have to live with the grout color. I think it will look worse trying to change it now. My wife and I walked the perimeter and blue taped the real bad joints. Going to have those tiles removed and reinstalled straight this time. Also both colums getting total demo and redone.

Sanded grout

Hi there
im getting travertine coping on my pool as well. My PB used light grout between the tiles, which are similar in color to yours. It looks much better and the joints don't stand out as much.
Also, on the raised beam, they used bigger tiles, so there isn't a separate piece behind each tile. I wonder why ur PB didn't do that. Try asking him and see if he can.
Thanks.

G

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.