Question about adding salt in non-SWG pool

Hi all,

We would like to add salt to improve the feel of the water. I know how much to add thanks to Pool Math, but I'm not sure when to add it. We're on the tail end of SLAMing. The pool is clear, i just need to do the overnight test to make sure the algae is gone and let the FC drop.

Thanks!

I would wait until your SLAM is completed and you rechecked all other perimeters. Not that the salt should effect anything, but just to make sure all is good with the SLAM, etc. (just my personal preference.)

I agree with PAGirl, wait until SLAM is complete. Do you have a salt test kit? You should check to what the salt level is, do not assume that it's 0. I added salt to my pool for the first time last year (2,000ppm) and didn't tell anyone and immediately got some positive feedback from guests. Did it again this year.

I added about half of what is recommended, have not gotten around to doing the other half yet. Between work, yard projects, and the weather back and forth, I just haven't gotten it completed. Hope to this week. Using half seemed to make a bit of a difference.

We don't have a SWG, but wanted to add salt to achieve eye comfort. Two days ago we added enough Morton Pool Salt (slow to dissolve - took me ~2 hours to add/mix) to go from zero (assumed) to 2500 ppm per PoolMath. Today the water is much friendlier to our eyes (young grand kids agree). Because we have no SWG, don't backwash, and are way below 7000 ppm (tear level), we don't plan to test; when/if our eyes get uncomfortable, we'll test.

Thank you TFP, for providing us the confidence to make the water more comfortable for our eyes :)

pool store said my initial level was 2000 ppm so i added only half of my initial planned amount. repeat test showed about 2500 ppm, so all good. i do like the way it feels, although i can taste the salt. i used quick dissolving pool salt that i was able to get for 6.40/40 lb bag. no mixing/brushing, instantaneous.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.