Another needed upgrade and why (pic)

I just completed doing the same thing as I wanted to get rid of my flex hoses as I feared they would burst sometime. It is amazing how much more flow I get with the PVC hard piping and I did understand the friction loss from my firefighting days but it is even more than I expected.

How ever I did have one glued joint blow apart for some unknown reason both parts looked good as well did the glue application. Everything was covered on both pieces. I just reglued another section of pipe back into the Jandy valve and all is working now. If it matters I used the Purple Primer and Clear glue on all fittings.

Dennis

Nice! I love seeing pics.

I'm hard plumbing my 18' AG pool from the get go. I've heard the horror stories and the benefits of doing it, so I figured why not. The horror stories don't scare me, it's really just for the efficiency of it all. Thanks for sharing.

It's also nice to see people doing the same thing as me with somewhat similar sized pools. Yes, mine is smaller. Darn-it!!! lol. I've got an 8000g with 200 sf cartridge filter and 1.5hp 2 speed pump. 2" pvc though. My low speed will surely do the job with this setup. I think it uses 2.8 amps @ 120 volts on low. Not bad.

Good luck and thanks for the pics!

Lazyman said:
Nice! I love seeing pics.

I'm hard plumbing my 18' AG pool from the get go. I've heard the horror stories and the benefits of doing it, so I figured why not. The horror stories don't scare me, it's really just for the efficiency of it all. Thanks for sharing.

It's also nice to see people doing the same thing as me with somewhat similar sized pools. Yes, mine is smaller. Darn-it!!! lol. I've got an 8000g with 200 sf cartridge filter and 1.5hp 2 speed pump. 2" pvc though. My low speed will surely do the job with this setup. I think it uses 2.8 amps @ 120 volts on low. Not bad.

Good luck and thanks for the pics!

My hose burst right at the hose clamped return fitting in the wall. This is where I had the most vibration which actually looked like it was stressing the wall fitting. When you hard plumb, all the vibrations will be gone as well which will lessen the likelyhood of stress cracks in the skimmer assemble, and return bung fitting. I am also glad that my pump stayed "wet" and didn't burn out!!

I only have one concern about switching to hard plumbing.

How easy is it to change your filter sand with the hard plumbing attached?

Also, can you buy everything you need at Home Depot? If so, I might do this in a couple of days.

Great Job :goodjob: ...the only thing you want to look out for though is that the 90deg elbows you used are not sch 40...they are dwv and not rated for pressure fitting...they may very well hold up as I have made that mistake in the past, but as the previous poster mentioned...this is probably why they experienced the blowout, even though they felt the fitting was properly glued.

Good point on the Sch 40. My brother in law just put up an AG with a main drain (I tried to talk him out of it) and he used Sch 40 pipe but didn't think about the fittings. When I pointed out that the fittings he was using for the pump/filter were not Sch 40, he just about had a fit. Too late to worry as the pool is up and filled.

Home Depot does not carry much Sch 40 fittings any more, Lowes does. Almost any fitting that has a "collar" (where the ends are larger than the main part of the pipe) is not going to be Sch 40.

On another point, I would support the long horizontal runs somehow. If someone were to accidentally step on those long runs, you could have a serious break or possibly bend the pool wall. If they were supported by bricks or something, much less chance of serious damage.

riverwalker76 said:
I only have one concern about switching to hard plumbing.

How easy is it to change your filter sand with the hard plumbing attached?

Also, can you buy everything you need at Home Depot? If so, I might do this in a couple of days.

If you look in the pic you will see 2 flanged unions on each pipe assembly. These unions quickly and easily unscrew by hand, and then you can remove the pipes to do filter maintenence.

I can shut off the ball valve at the skimmer, shut off the ball valve in the return line, or I can install my winter plug directly into the return bung fitting. It works awesome!

For the sake of preventing vibrations breaking your jet and skimmer connections, I think Id put a Fernco (rubber coupling) fitting somewhere in each line.

Other than that, nice job! Its amazing how good PVC work can make a pool look nicer :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.