Milky Water

Jul 4, 2016
Evans City Pa
Can't seem to clear my pool water. Had some iron staining and used Stain Free made by Natural Chemistry. Worked great. Waited a week and shocked the pool. Been cloudy ever since. I had the water tested and found phosphate. Used a product to remove that. Still cloudy. Was using a Waterway cartridge filter. Been running it 24x7 for 3 weeks. Still cloudy. Pool dealer gave me a DE filter to try. Been running that for 2 days. Still cloudy. Have tried clarifier. With no luck. The chemistry is perfect. My pool is 35000 gallons. Any help would be great.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Cloudy water tells us your chemistry is not perfect. Pool water chemistry is what we teach but you'll have to help us by providing a complete set of test results like this

pH =
FC =
CC =
TA =
CH =
CYA =

Pool store testing won't work.....it's bogus.. You must be willing to invest in one of the two test kits we suggest and then willing to learn what we teach. It ends up quite simple but the beginning is reporting your own test results.

The two most accurate ones are found in Pool School - test kits compared.

CC's are combined chloramines and I don't think your test kit tests for them.

CH is Calcium Hardness and not really very relevant to vinyl pools unless it is quite high.

How are you chlorinating your pool?

HI there

It sounds like you've got something in there eating your chlorine and just waiting to turn your water green. With CYA of 50 and FC of 3, your chlorine is too low. To clear up algae, we follow a process we call SLAM

Shock
Level
And
Maintain

The amount of chlorine you need is dependent upon your CYA number and you are constantly adding CYA by using those pucks

Here are some links to get you started

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Hi
Have shocked the pool a few times to 10+ ppm and no luck. Still cloudy water. Having a grad party this weekend. Desperate for answers.

- - - Updated - - -

Also,been using pucks for 13 years. Never an issue. Living in the north I get a good amount of water turn over from rain and snow. Every season I probably change out at least 1/3 of my total water volume.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The SLAM article above should help you out. It's a process, not a one time addition of "shock."

Shock level for 50 cya would be 20FC. And with CYA at 50 your FC shouldn't drop below 4 or you have an invitation for an algae party.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.