Need new pump and my head is spinning!

Jul 14, 2015
Smithtown NY
Good Morning. Our Jacuzzi Magnum Force 1.5 HP finally gave up the ghost. I went to two different pool stores yesterday, came home and read a lot of information online and I am now more confused than ever!
First store recommended the Pentair Superflo VS, I think the model is PEN340001 (that's what was on the slip of paper they gave me) on sale for $819.00, $350. Rebate but $250. to install and a two week wait.... They also sell the Hayward but "we don't recommend it". Second store recommends Hayward Super Pump VS model SP2602VS $849.00, same rebate and install price, one weeks wait. My husband is perfectly capable of doing the install but the electric company will not give rebate unless installed by "professional". After looking on Amazon I can buy either of these pumps with a 2 day delivery much cheaper, or even the Pentair Intelliflo or the 2 speed Whisperflo. Bottom line, I don't understand all the flow chart information and technical stuff. We have 1.5" PVC piping into and out of the old pump, I know since I need a new pump going energy efficient is the way to go. But which way?? I'd appreciate any advice from your experience that you can give. My husband is old school and feels the more bells and whistles, the more things to break! Thank you!!

Hi, the difference is hp between the pumps. The super flow vs is a variable speed that maxes out at 1.5 hp, while the intelliflow maxes out at 3 hp. Since you have 1.5 inch plumbing I wouldn't get a pump over 1.5 hp so if you want a variable speed pump best choice is a super flow vs.

But if you're looking to save the money electricly and with pump cost you could always down size your pump. It will save on the electric bill, but you'll lose some power.

If you don't have a heater or a cleaner you could get a 3/4 hp or 1hp superflow (the non variable speed model). You will have to run your pool longer but it will still save you money.

I could give you better suggestions if I knew everything you have on your pool system... or a picture.

Any questions then just ask.

You may also wish to consider a 1.5 hp 2 speed motor to replace your existing motor. In this case you would keep your existing wet end and only replace the motor. You would also need to purchase a "go kit" - which includes a new shaft seal and a few other gaskets. Replacing just the motor negates the need to do any PVC plumbing to fit in the entire new pump.

When run on low speed, a 2 speed motor moves 1/2 as much water than on high speed - but uses only about 1/4 the electricity.
What are you electric rates? Do you have an automatic pool cleaner?

Post a picture of the motor rating plate and any timer setup you have. Specifically looking for HP, SF (service factor) and frame type of motor - along with a pic of the timer or sub-panel at the pool equipment.

Can't offer any advice for motor/pump choice, but I'll add my voice for general dissatisfaction with local pool store pricing.

If you can install it yourself, buy online. I see no reason to buy from the local stores. Unless you're really worried about getting warranty service.

Some manufacturers limit the warranty unless installed by "certified" installer. And sometimes a qualified installer may not be 'certified' to install a certain brand. Pentair for example limits warranty to 60 days if not installed by 'approved' installer. Use the right installer and warranty is 3 years.

fyi

Thanks everyone for your input, I really appreciate the information. Still have not made up my mind especially after reading a lot of reviews. We do need the complete pump, the old one is shot, and had replaced the motor once already.
Thanks again!

Update: We went with the Hayward SP2602VSP. I bought it on Amazon for 499. Very happy with the pump, not happy that the price on Amazon has dropped to 393. in less than a week!!!!! Amazon will not do a price adjustment. But if anyone is in the market-great deal.
Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.