Making some upgrades this year to my 18x34 Doughboy

Glock

Jun 3, 2012
Mesquite, Texas
Some of you may remember me from my build back in July 2012. After going through some personal issues I am back to tending to my pool properly. First I had to balance the water after letting a floater with 3" tabs keep it algae free for almost 2 years. The readings were all over the place. The water has hazy and my liner has had some major fading. First thing to balance was the TA since it could not be measured because the drop test started out dark red instead of green. 26lbs of baking soda later and bam, its maintaining at 120. My pH was so low it was off the charts but once I balanced the TA it came up to 7.5 which was a big win for me. My CYA is still pretty high (110 ppm) but the water is crystal clear so I am not too worried about it. However, the floater is no longer in the pool and I am adding water occasionally due to the heat so it will drop of by attrition. When it gets back down to 50 ppm I will add the floater back for the summer but with only 3-4 tabs rather than the 9 it holds. I'll maintain FC with bleach as a booster to the tabs.

Ok, so on to the upgrades! I ordered and got a Pentair Clean & Clear 200sf 2HP cartridge filter:
Amazon.com : Pentair PNCC0200OP1160 Clean and Clear Aboveground Cartridge Pool and Spa Filter System, 2 HP : Swimming Pool Cartridge Filters : Patio, Lawn Garden

I also ordered and got 2 Hayward widemouth skimmers:
Amazon.com : Hayward SP1091WM Dyna-Skim Above-Ground Pool Skimmer Kit : Swimming Pool Skimmers : Patio, Lawn Garden

I have contacted the guy who installed my 18' round many many years ago at my old house. he did great work and I should have used him for this pool. Anyway, I have a call in to him because he does pools, decks, and electrical. My plan is to finally have an electric circuit run to the pool, get a better timer, have my Doughboy skimmer replaced with the Hayward Wide-mouth and add a second skimmer on the opposite side of the pool. That end of the pool with no skimmer stagnates and grows algae easily. My hope is the more powerful pump and extra skimmer will keep it all in motion nicely. I will have him hard plumb it all and then add a small covered deck from the house to the pool for me if the budget is there but the pool corrections come first. I will try to get some before and after pics like I did with the initial build.

As always, thoughts and discussion of my plan is welcome. If you see a problem with my plan, feel free to point it out.

Your CYA will not drop by evaporation. Only a partial drain and water replacement will do that for you.

Mine has always dropped on its own. Every season I have to add more and I never drain and refill. If the sun isn't killing it, it must be be going somewhere. Now, I tell you what does happen is when it rains like crazy my pool will overfill and drain out the skimmer. I guess that could be considered a partial drain and refill. lol. Either way its not cloudy so I am cool with it being at 100+ for awhile. Plus, with the sand filter I do occasionally backwash and either refill or let the rain refill it. Of course, with the new filter I won't be back-washing anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't like your doughboy skimmer? I love mine with the easy vacuum port.

No, I hate it with a passion. I like the idea of the vacuum port but as soon as I plug my vacuum in it starts taking on air. When I say air I mean you can look down in the skimmer through the clear lid and see lots of air coming in via the vacuum port. I have tried different vacuums with different hoses and it will actually run the pump dry there is so much air coming in. I don't know why but I won't miss the DB skimmer at all.

My sucks in a small amount of but never enough to run dry. By the time I am done vacumming just the small handle bump on the skimmer cover has air in it. Weird that we have such different experience with it. Ever try and contact doughboy about it?

My sucks in a small amount of but never enough to run dry. By the time I am done vacumming just the small handle bump on the skimmer cover has air in it. Weird that we have such different experience with it. Ever try and contact doughboy about it?

Yep. They refer me to my installer who sucked at installing and has since gone out of business. I already have both the new skimmers though. My Doughboy skimmer basket floats up when it is off too and I have had some pretty large stuff go into the filter basket because of it. Just not impressed with DB's filter/pump/skimmer. The rest of the pool is perfect, great quality.

Glock,
let me know what you think of that large mouth skimmer. i am considering getting one of those. would just like to hear what people think of that skimmer. i am not too far north of you.

My 18' round years ago had a Hayward Wide Mouth and I loved it. Solid skimmer and vacuuming was a breeze. Never any issues. I don't know if they have changed much but I will let you know by posting here.

- - - Updated - - -

Glock we have had some members that had to put a large rock in their basket to keep it down. Just make sure the water can move freely to the pump.

Kim:cat:

Wow, that is a great idea. I can't believe I never thought of that. lol. The new skimmers baskets don't lock into place so I might have to use that rock method anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My 18' round years ago had a Hayward Wide Mouth and I loved it. Solid skimmer and vacuuming was a breeze. Never any issues. I don't know if they have changed much but I will let you know by posting here.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, that is a great idea. I can't believe I never thought of that. lol. The new skimmers baskets don't lock into place so I might have to use that rock method anyway.
I have the standard Hayward skimmer, which is the same as yours without the wide mouth extension. I set a rock in my basket, and it works great.

Yeah it is a sign of the economy has turned around and they are busy this time of year LOL You might have to wait until later in the year when all of their current builds are done and they are ready to make some Christmas money.

What all do you want done? Could you sub it out on your own?

Well replacing the current skimmer and hard plumbing it would be EASY. New filter setup? As in replace the one you have now? Again easy.

BUT the adding a new skimmer can be done if you have the nerves enough to cut your pool :shock: scary but can be done with the right tools.

Electrical outlet=hired out for sure BUT any electrician could do it I would think.

Deck=woodworker in need of work.

I hope you can find someone or two that can and will do the work.

I bet someone on here could tell you how to do it IF you wanted to try it DIY.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.