Inground vinyl repair

mtheaded

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 10, 2007
Lovettsville, VA
I have an inground pool with a significant tear in the wall of the vinyl just about at skimmer level. The truth of the matter is that the liner is very old and needs to be replaced. I actually saved up the money over the winter to do just that then I was downsized from my job and now that 5K I put aside might end up paying the mortgage!

I am wondering about trying a patch repair to maybe get one last season from this liner and I have done some research and everybody seems to agree that it is simple (particularly for me since the tear is not underwater) and that I should use Boxer brand adhesive cement but most people seem to be trying to repair a very small hole or tear. This one measures about 6 inches horizontally and maybe 10 inches vertically so it is big! Bottom line is that repair materials are cheap and I thinking about trying it. The only downside to it not working is having to probably pay to fill the pool (We are on a well and the pool is currently drained to about 1 foot below the skimmer to avoid water getting under the liner at the tear.

From what I’ve seen, most of repair vinyl you can buy comes in sheets of about 6 inches by 24 inches. The 6 inches probably won’t be wide enough, so I would have to apply one piece of vinyl then overlap another. Has anyone ever tried anything this silly? I know it wouldn’t be pretty, but at least we could have the use of our pool this summer and I can wait until I’m working again to worry about replacing the liner. What do you think? Is it worth a try?

A better approach than overlapping two patches would be to contact your pool store, and see if they have an old or unused liner (or a sample square) that they can donate, so that you can cut a piece out of to fit the hole. While you're there, book them for the liner replacement next year, as, once a liner gets brittle, more holes will soon appear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.