Vinyl Liner keeps pulling patches and causing water loss

ionizer

Gold Supporter
Jun 7, 2016
Marlboro, NJ
Hi Everyone.

I had an existing patch put on due a slit in the liner before closing up last year. The patch seemed to hold, as my water level was fine when I opened. However, I had a ton of algae and ended up putting another slice in the spot or somehow extending it either from my brush or by eventually having to lower my water due to CYA of 100 and perhaps (Despite keeping 10-11 inches in shallow end) probably should never have gone that low and probably caused my shallow end liner to shift a bit or pull from the edges

The guy, who operates a legitiamte company, has come back 2 times now to patch the liner again, and each time it seems his patches are being "pulled" and this white stuff he uses as a seam for the edge of the patch seems to stretch out and pull the seam apart

So he did a 3rd large patch this past week. Well today I finally got in the water to look at it and yet again, the white part is being pulled apart.

I am not sure why this is happening. The guy's company is super reputable and he says they do 2000 patches a year and has never had to come back 2x in the same year for a patch, nevermind 3. (Note he isnt charging me each time he comes back, so seems little incentive from his end to not do it correct).

So he stated I probably had ground water - but this doesnt seem to be case, nor probable given my pool, position relative to surrounding areas, etc.

What I think is actually happening is either (1) my liner is being used for the patches and it is shrinking once it is in the water instead of the hot shed where it is stored OR (2) there is some "space" behind the curved area where this patch is going in and once the hole is plugged, it is somehow pulling it as the liner tries to "situate itself" or (3) I have no clue

I've exhausted the # of times he is going to come back and deal with this since he claims it's not his patches. What I want to find out is what is the "white stuff" he is using for the seams and where can I Get it? I feel like the latest "pull" can be fixed easily if i just knew what the material he uses to creates this "seam" and reapply it myself now that the patch seems to have "Settled" in.

This way I can see if it was a one time adjustment to the water or if it is going to keep pulling.

anyone know what it is? This isn't the adhesive you put on the back of the patch itself - i have that. Rather, its some kind of extra special sealant that while ugly, seems to ensure the patch doesn't peel from the edges (circular/ovals, not squares, but nonetheless).

Anyone who has experience with rips, please help!

"Features an ample supply of 4-ounce liquid adhesive in a can with screw top and attached dauber-applicator" It has the adhesive in it as well.

Kim:cat:

sorry, what i meant to say is that the adhesive is solely for putting on the back of a patch.
what i am looking for is something you put on the edges after applying a patch. while it makes for an ugly border with the patch, it provides an extra level of protection that the patch will stay on and not start peeling away.

- - - Updated - - -

this looks like what i want:
Flexible Sealer 4 oz. Tube - White: Anderson Manufacturing Company, Inc.

but i cant find it for cheap, everywhere ends up being $20+ once their ridiculous shipping is included

so ive gone for some leakmaster putty on amazon prime, hope it works well

Let us know how it works.

What I have done in the past and have seen several others do is put on one patch just a bit bigger than the hole then put another patch, bigger again, over the first one. Kind of like a one, two punch.

Patching is quite easy, unless in the deepend without scuba. I have had to patch twice. One was a seam tear which was a defect in the liner. The second time was a moron moment. I had a small edging shovel and was trying to get ice out a couple years ago. The blade fell off the handle and dropped to the botton. I fished it out and didnt even know it was cut until I was swimming later that year.

At any rate, I kept the step cutout from my liner as patch material. I simply bought the patch kit from lowed but cut my own patch material from my liner scrap. Put on scuba gear and dropped into the deepend and patched. Has held for a couple years now. I think maybe the trick is applying the adhesive liberally, fold the patch in half and rub it together to spread the adhesive, then open and place over the cut. Sat down there for about 15 mins with my foot on it holding it down tight, then placed a weight on it for a day.

the thing is, the patch is on fine when the guy leaves

but then the next day or so, the patch begins to peel off- seemingly because the liner is still shifting back or something. we cant really explain it and like i said, this isnt a fly by night company, they do this for a living: #1 Leak Detection Company in New Jersey and New York | NJ Leak Detection | NJ Pool Leak Detection | NJ and NY Leak Detection

gonna try to see if perhaps this leakmaster putty will hold.

im not even sure yet that i am losing water from this latest instance, but i want to re-secure it before using my floor robot. keeps raining here, so cant really test yet if i am even losing water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Amazon.com : Boxer Adhesives No.110 Vinyl Pool Repair Kit : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden

Here is one of the best fixes. This is what I have used in the past and it held. It can be done underwater. Not fun but can be done.

If you think it's shifting and shrinking from the temp change than why not toss some spare liner in thr pool to acclimate it to the same temp before putting the glue on it. Just a though.

Yeah that was going to be my final attempt and leave it in the water for a day or two , but even still I wanted to ensure I have this special sealant for the edges if/when I have to go that route.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.