Help! Brand New SW Pool Just turned green

We set up a 9 x 18 Intex pool with a total height of 52" and the instruction manual says it holds 4,545 gallons. Hubby added 120 pounds of salt and ran the sand filter for 24 hours but didn't start the saltwater system with E.C.O. until 3 days later when he had another plug out there. He also didn't add the Cyanuric Acid.
Today the pool turned green. I panicked and after reading some online posts I added 2 cups of clorox bleach.
We just ran out and bought the cyanic acid and a product called "Acid Magic" that says it is a "User friendly Muriatic Acid" but I have not adding anything else because I am afraid to.
I also bought a test kit (I have since ordered the one recommended on this forum but that won't come till next week).
Here is the info from test kit I bought at the store:
FC 2.0
CC 2.0
Ph 8.2
Alkalinity 110
According to the results for acid the test kit said to ad 1/2 a cup of acid??

My question is are we better off draining the pool and starting over or can it be saved relatively easy? We are having have a pool party on Friday for my husbands 71st birthday and I am hoping to not have a green pool.

Thanks so much for any help!

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: FYI - I deleted your other (duplicate) post to avoid confusion later. :) Normally we would say you could clear your pool on your own. Your problem right now is time. You ordered the proper test kit (good job by the way) but you won't have it for a few days. So that make completing a TFP "SLAM" by Friday impossible. With the party this Friday, I would be more inclined to say replace most of the water just so it's clear for your event. Now if that changes on your end and you chose to wait for the kit, by all means we'll gladly help you clear the water okay.

Now if you do drain or change most of the water, just make sure to add enough stabilizer for a minimum CYA of 30, and add enough bleach to keep FC at about 3 ppm. Once the stabilizer has dissolved and mixed with the water, you can keep FC between 4-5 ppm. pH will always be around 7.5-7.8. Please use the Poolmath calculator (link below) to figure-out all of your dosages required. It's a great tool.

I hope that helps get you going for now. Please let us know how else we can help or if you have any other questions.

To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

I used the Pool Math calculator, and your pool came out to 2600 gallons of water... don't be putting in too much of any chemicals by basing your calculations on the wrong water volume!

Thanks for your reply. I am beyond frustrated because I know nothing about pool chemistry. We went with a salt water pool because I have an autoimmune disease and am very sensitive to chlorine and chemicals.
Is the stabilizer the same as Cyanuric Acid? The only kind of Cyanuric acid I could find here in rural Vermont was liquid is that ok?
If so how would I add the liquid form to the pool?
I won't have a way to test for the CYA until the test kit comes.
By Bleach do you mean Clorox type bleach?
Does the test kit have salt test strips in it? I haven't been able to find them anywhere.
If we drain the whole pool will the salt water damage the grass and topsoil?
Thanks again. I will have my husband start draining in the morning.

- - - Updated - - -

I just used the pool math calculator and it says 4800 gallons. The instruction manual for the pool says 4,545. The 2600 number you came up with just doesn't seem right does it ??

For stabilizer - yes. That is indeed cyanuric acid. We usually get the granular stabilizer at places like Wal-Mart, Lowe's, or Home Depot pool sections. But if you can't get it, the liquid will work as well, it just costs much more. :grrrr: Good thing is that it mixes with the water very quickly. So make sure you have the correct pool volume entered on the Poolmath calculator and use that to tell you how much liquid to add. I believe the liquid is pre-missed as noted on the bottle then poured slowly into the pool.

For FC (free chlorine), yes, we use regular bleach (generic is fine). Make sure it's plain, not splashless or scented. None of that. The only difference with e salt water pool (SWG) is that the SWG transforms salt into free chlorine - so it's the same - chlorine, but with a small salt content added to the water which helps some folks feel better.

Oh, for salt testing, the web site (TFTestkits.com) also has salt test strips (or drops) for you to select. You can get to it from the same TF-100 link below in my signature. :)

Will the salt water damage your lawn? It shouldn't. Many people backwash their water onto the grass with no issues. If you have a concern though, you might be able to direct your drain (hose) to an isolated part of the yard perhaps?

Just take your time with the Poolmath calculator. Once you see how it works and your eyes get used to the way it looks, you'll see it's a great tool that helps you confirm how much of something to add.

Thanks again. I cross posted so will ask this again here. I just used the pool math calculator and it says 4800 gallons. The instruction manual for the pool says 4,545. The 2600 number you came up with just doesn't seem right does it ?? Can you verify for me?
I have a very bad reaction to chlorinated pools and like many folks had to stop going to the physical therapy pool. They
switched to a salt water system and they said a lot of folks that were having reactions to the chlorinated pools were fine in the salt water pool. I went on Friday for my first PT session with the sw system and it was amazing. No chlorine smell burning my lungs and eyes, no angry red rashes on my skin. Now having said that I am praying it is the same with these little saltwater generators on the home pools or we just spent a lot of money on a pool for nothing. :-(

- - - Updated - - -

Ok I just realized I am talking to two different people. Thanks for clarifying that my numbers were correct.

You do realize that a salt water pool is nothing more than a salty chlorine pool, don't you? The SWG simply makes chlorine from the salt so you don't have to add it manually.

The pools used by the public tend to have way too much chlorine added to them, as they only service them at the most once per day, and they don't want to run the risk of having them deemed to be un-sanitary.
the SWG generates a little chlorine at a time, and adds it to the pool gradually.
You are in control of your pool, and will get it dialed into what works best for you.
Once you get your test kit in hand, and have had some time to get used to it, and your pool, you will be on your way to having a pool that you will love getting into.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't run a SWG here, but have had friends that said they couldn't stand chlorine pools come over and swim... they all commented that they couldn't smell "ANY of that chlorine smell" from my pool.

I have a pump that doses the pool with SMALL amounts of chlorine multiple times per day instead of me putting a full dose in once a day... I like the way it works.

Well, once you drain your pool (if that's what you still plan on doing), we can help you balance and maintain your SWG pool just fine. ideally we would like to ensure that all algae is removed once you do the water exchange, but we won't know that until your good test kit arrives. I'm torn between trying to help you make-due for this Friday versus wasting money to balance your water for salt water conditions (SWG). So I'll simply present you with your options and let you decide which is best for you right now:
Option 1: Drain most/all of your water and sanitize with chlorine (bleach). For this option, you only need to increase your CYA to about 30 ppm at which point after Friday (after the party) we could help you ensure there is no more residual algae and treat if necessary. Never let the FC drop below 3 ppm.
Option 2: After your drain & refill, you would increase CYA to "70" which is necessary for a SWG pool. Of course you would have to add salt again, and perhaps add just a little bleach for the first day or two until the SWG was adjusted properly. Again, never let FC drop below 3. After Friday's party, if we find you have algae again, then you would do a TFP "SLAM" link below which would require a little more bleach.

Here at TFP, our goal is to help users like yourself enjoy your pool with minimal effort, least amount of chemicals needed, and by saving money. Whichever option you decide we'll gladly help you through it. You have a short-term goal to enjoy the pool on Friday, but a long-term goal of nice water for your skin. We'll help you through either/both methods as required.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My rheumatologist and the hospital PT department gave us all this research info on the difference in the reactions people have to the chlorine levels in a SW pool compared to a regular chlorine pool and they showed that the reactions were much less. We did a bit of research on it and really liked what we read. We ended up having our property excavated a retaining wall installed and tons of fill and topsoil brought in so we could install this pool so I could do therapy at home. My hubby is 71 and I am disabled. We really believed what all the research says about the outgassing of fumes not being as bad with a SWG. I could not even tolerate walking into the pool room when the therapy pool was just a regular pool because the chlorine fumes were so intense. But now that it is SW chlorine you can smell a slight chlorine smell but there is absolutely no burning of lungs, eyes, or skin.

The only strange thing is I could not even tolerate walking into the pool room when the therapy pool was just a regular pool because the chlorine fumes were so intense.
Often times that smell we grew-up exposed to at public pools was the combined chloramines in the water. That's something your new (TF-100) test kit will test for. :) But listen please .... don't exhaust yourself over this. Whether you have a non-SWG pool or a SWG pool - TFP shows you how to maintain either one. The good thing with your SWG pool is once we show you how to balance it, the SWG should save you some time by generating the chlorine for you. You'll still need to test the water everyday, but you won't have to carry a bottle of bleach to the pool each evening.

If it wasn't for the party in 5 days, we'd show you how to "SLAM" your pool and not lose a drop. But I know you want it "party ready", so this modifies our plan a bit. But don't you worry, we'll help you. Whenever you have a question ... please ask. That's what everyone here is for ... to help others.

That made me feel so much better. Thank you so much for that info. It makes good sense.

The pools used by the public tend to have way too much chlorine added to them, as they only service them at the most once per day, and they don't want to run the risk of having them deemed to be un-sanitary.
the SWG generates a little chlorine at a time, and adds it to the pool gradually.
You are in control of your pool, and will get it dialed into what works best for you.
Once you get your test kit in hand, and have had some time to get used to it, and your pool, you will be on your way to having a pool that you will love getting into.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't run a SWG here, but have had friends that said they couldn't stand chlorine pools come over and swim... they all commented that they couldn't smell "ANY of that chlorine smell" from my pool.

I have a pump that doses the pool with SMALL amounts of chlorine multiple times per day instead of me putting a full dose in once a day... I like the way it works.

I wouldn't stress about it.

With all the people here helping that KNOW what they are doing with ANY pool, and just about any situation that can happen with a pool, and the equipment involved. I am SURE that you will be thoroughly enjoying your new pool for years to come.

Thank you so much. I was having a total panic attack! You have been very patient and kind with this total novice old lady. I will read over all your posts to my hubby tomorrow and we will drain the pool. Do we need to scrub it with bleach water before refilling it? It only turned green today so hopefully there is not too much algae on the pool walls? Sorry for being so clumsy with the posts. It takes a little bit getting used to. You all answer so fast, how wonderful.

Often times that smell we grew-up exposed to at public pools was the combined chloramines in the water. That's something your new (TF-100) test kit will test for. :) But listen please .... don't exhaust yourself over this. Whether you have a non-SWG pool or a SWG pool - TFP shows you how to maintain either one. The good thing with your SWG pool is once we show you how to balance it, the SWG should save you some time by generating the chlorine for you. You'll still need to test the water everyday, but you won't have to carry a bottle of bleach to the pool each evening.

If it wasn't for the party in 5 days, we'd show you how to "SLAM" your pool and not lose a drop. But I know you want it "party ready", so this modifies our plan a bit. But don't you worry, we'll help you. Whenever you have a question ... please ask. That's what everyone here is for ... to help others.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you!

I wouldn't stress about it.

With all the people here helping that KNOW what they are doing with ANY pool, and just about any situation that can happen with a pool, and the equipment involved. I am SURE that you will be thoroughly enjoying your new pool for years to come.

No worries, we're happy to help you two. I have to tell you though, if it weren't' for the fact you don't already have the proper test kit and have a party this Friday, we'd have you "SLAM" that water as opposed to draining it. But on this timeline I don't think we have a choice. But once you drain, it would be a good idea to clean as best as you're able. Be careful and don't exhaust yourselves too badly, but do what you can. Once you're ready to refill, let us know. Just make sure you have the following items on-hand as soon as as the pool is filled again:
- Couple gallons or regular (plain) bleach
- Stabilizer (granular or liquid)
- Salt for your SWG
We'll help you from there. Have a nice evening.

As the water drains, algae will cling to the walls of it (much like the dirty dish water clings to the side of the sink when you drain it).
But the good news is that the algae hasn't had the time to REALLY get a foothold, and it should be pretty easy to clean it off before a re-fill.

as it is draining, and you can see the level drop, use a garden hose with a nozzle that you can put to a jet-stream, and rinse down the walls.
once it is empty, a weak solution of bleach, and water in a bucket should be enough to kill what is left. Use an old rag and wipe down the walls, floor, and ladder with the solution.
Remember, you are dealing with bleach here, so don't wear the bathing suit you want to keep when you wipe down the walls, and floor.
Since you are sensitive to bleach, do you have anyone else around that can do this part for you?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.