Wiring a Goldline GL-235 Questions - Pic Added to topic

DrC

May 9, 2007
Ohio
Hello all,

I am finishing the installation of my Solar Heating and need some clarification on the GL-235 wiring. So far I have installed a new circuit breaker in my service panel for the controller and run the line (12-2 with ground) in PVC Conduit to the controller location. I am ready to make the final connections of the wiring to the 6 screw terminal block in the bottom of the GL-235 case. My understanding is that to supply power to the unit is,

1. Connect the Ground (Bare Copper) to Terminal #1.

2. Connect the Power (Black) to Terminal #3.

3. Connect the Neutral (White) to Terminal #4.

I then want to hook the controller to my 2 speed pump so that it will automatically come on when the temperatures meet the settings of the controller. I will make this connection using Liguid-Tite conduit and fittings for the controller and rear of my pump. This is where I got confused :? as to the wiring after looking at the diagrams in the owner's manual.

4. I think I need wires from the controller Terminals #5 and #6 to my pump so that the relay will turn on the pump after the 30 second delay of the valve opening?

5. I would then connect the 2 wires to the high speed side of the pump AFTER the internal two speed switch built on the pump?

6. Do I also need to connect a ground wire in this circuit between the controller and the pump?

7. Will manually turning the pump on High Speed using the pump's 2 speed switch damage the controller by back feeding 115v into the controller?

I hope you can understand this post. We use the pump on High Speed to vacuum manually or when the Kreepy Krawler is in use. The pump information and plumbing can be seen in my post here solar-plumbing-design-review-with-pics-t11977.html I have everything hooked up and did run the system a little yesterday by controlling the valves manually. It does heat the water :goodjob:.

Thanks to all

Re: Wiring a Goldline GL-235 Questions

In the GL-235 manual there is a wiring diagram on page 8 labeled Figure 3 that shows the proper wiring. They show the setup for 240 volts, but 110 is essentially the same.

Both the GL-235 and the pump should be wired to the same ground.

The white, neutral wire should be the one that is jumped across at the timer. The black wire will come from before time timer to #5 on the terminal block, and then #6 on the terminal block will be wired to the high speed wire after the speed selection switch.

Thanks Jason,

I may have not made myself clear. I do not have any actual timer installed on my system. I was talking about the timer built into the GL235. Once the temperature sensors see a need for heat the GL235 activates the valve position, and then 30 seconds later a relay inside the GL235 can activates the pump? Of course this line of thinking discusses activating a booster pump which I also do not have so I was thinking it could just activate the high peed of my 2 speed pump that is normally run on low speed unless vacuuming.

This is what I understood from reading the manual. I was looking at the basic wiring diagram on Page 7 and was thinking with a seperate power feed from my service panel I could use the GL235 to turn on the pump from terminals 5 and 6? This would be some modification of the diagram on page 9 but using only a single 2 speed pump?

Does this make any better sense? IS it even possible to do this?

Dennis

I get it.

I don't think you can do this without adding a relay. The pump is designed to have either the high speed side or the low speed side turned on, but not both at once. The GL-235 only has a single pole single throw relay, so it can't switch two things at once. If you wire it up in the obvious way, both high and low speed will end up being turned on at the same time.

Thanks again for the reply Jason.

I have had another thought to move the High Low Switch from the pump to a remote location for easier access and add a switch to control the wiring from the GL-235 controller. The High/Low Switch will function as it does normally and the second switch from the GL-235 will be a single throw either On or Off to allow current flow to the High Speed Lug on the rear of the pump.

With the GL235 switch in the off position, the High/Low switch can function normally as needed, Low for circulation and High for Vacuuming or quicker turnover?

With the High/Low switch OFF and the GL-235 Switch on, the GL-235 can activate the pump on High Speed to supply the Solar Heating system?

Excuse the crude drawing I did quickly using MS Paint, but I welcome all comments and advice.

Dennis

RemoteSwitches.jpg

Thanks Jason that is what I was thinking also. It will be nice to mount the switches remotely instead of having the High/Low under the pump as this old fat man doesn't bend as well as he use too :lol:

I appreciate all of your input.

Dennis

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.