Need chlorinating liquid

Jun 1, 2016
East Coast
I've been using TFP all season on our first pool. I'm down to 2 bottles of 10% chlorinating liquid from Walmart but all the walmartds in the area (according to their website) are out.

With the size pool we need nearly a bottle a day and last time I checked bleach was at least twice the price and not as strong.

Any suggestions where to look for similar prices so I don't have to spend $500 in chlorine for the season.

You might check out hardware stores for liquid chlorine as well. I'm kinda rural and can get the 10% stuff at my local Ace horse and garden and feed store. It isn't cheaper, but being rural I might actually try to negotiate if I chlorinated with it all summer but I'm a SWG owner and only needed it for SLAM.

You might check out hardware stores for liquid chlorine as well. I'm kinda rural and can get the 10% stuff at my local Ace horse and garden and feed store. It isn't cheaper, but being rural I might actually try to negotiate if I chlorinated with it all summer but I'm a SWG owner and only needed it for SLAM.

Our plan was to go salt but I held off as I was told I would likely only get 3-4 years out of a cell here. But been using a crazy amount of chlorine and struggling to keep it at 4ppm so I'm considering it again. Such a pain buying 5-10 gallons at a time.

about your only other choice may be the 8.25% bleach from the Dollar General, or Walmart... about $2.95/gal until your Walmart gets more of the 10% in stock.

Your location says New England. I can't imagine you'd get any less time out of a SWG than me in the south with an open pool for no less than 5 months a year. My understanding is that an SWG will produce chlorine "essentially" for "X" amount of hours which equates to the "expected" life span of 5 years.....or so.

The 5 year anniversary of my build is this month and original SWG is still happy and chlorinating. Today at least. I'd think you might actually get longer up there.

Might need to actually go there and check.

My local wal mart has no stock according to the web site, but I had just bought 10 gallons and the shelves were full. I checked for several days and they always showed out of stock. Was there a few days later for something else so I walked back to the pool section and the shelves were still fully stocked.

Might need to actually go there and check.

My local wal mart has no stock according to the web site, but I had just bought 10 gallons and the shelves were full. I checked for several days and they always showed out of stock. Was there a few days later for something else so I walked back to the pool section and the shelves were still fully stocked.

I've been there a few times. They had like 100 bottles last time they had some, so I picked up 6 more not knowing I really had anything to worry about. They been out for a week now. Worried they not going to be restocking.

Any suggestions where to look for similar prices so I don't have to spend $500 in chlorine for the season.
You might recheck that math. Most folks report similar pricing on different forms of chlorine. Certainly some a bit higher but not enough to break the bank.

You might recheck that math. Most folks report similar pricing on different forms of chlorine. Certainly some a bit higher but not enough to break the bank.

I'm guessing we get around 90-100 days tops of pool time around here. Probably closer to 80. But Let's say 90, at $2.50 a bottle that's around $225, Bleach at walmart is more like $4+ a bottle and weaker so I'd need more, easily putting me way over $500. The pool store said I needed about $600 in chemicals a year for our pool when I initially was doing research, and that's with all the garbage they want you to put in it.

Someone said earlier they spend like $100 thanks to the TFP method on their pool. I don't see how that's possible with how many bottles I've used in just the first month.

Pool size! You have a 40k gallon pool and you are going to use a lot more than someone with a 6k gallon would.

I know I'm only using about 1.5 gallon a week in my 14k gallon. You might check other places such as lowes or home depot. Menards (a midwest lumber chain) just had an ad for 12.5% liquid shock for $1.77/gallon after a small rebate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also, Don't rely too much on Wally World's online stock count for commodities such as this. I would call or visit the nearest stores and see if they have any. You could try calling them, but it's a guessing game getting someone that actually knows.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.