Jandy AquaPure w/ Sensor Interface Module - Flow light stays on constantly

Jul 3, 2016
Houston, TX
Hi all, new to the forum, but have lurked for a while. Lots of great info on here!

Recently my old Jandy generator crapped out, so I decided to order a new one and install it myself. Everything worked fantastic for about a month, but here in the last 3-4 weeks, I have noticed the flow indicator light on the Sensor Interface Module stays lit, even when the pool isn't running. I have searched through the manuals and this forum and cannot find anyone else posting about this issue.

It seems to me that this would be a concern, as if the SIM is sending a signal to the main box that flow is present, then the generator will constantly be running, leading to shorter life of the generator (+ it's not good for the generator to be "running" if water is not flowing, right?).

Looking for insight/input. I have the Jandy Pro Series AquaPure generator (Model PLC1400), the SIM is connected to that which runs to the main box - the AquaPure control panel (Model: APUREM). When I did the install, I did remove the flow adapter board from the control panel, as per the instruction that came with the new SWG.

Thanks in advance for the input. Hope everyone has a great 4th of July!

John

Sounds more like a wiring issue to me so you might want to recheck that. From what I've read, Jandy re-engineered the sensor system a while back, but I wouldn't think that would affect it being on when the pump is not running. If you have a volt meter, you could test the rectangular plug-in connector that runs from the box to the cell. Just be careful while doing this. That's what provides the cell power. Page 23 on the link I'm including below.

Also, someone else posted this reference in another post. Might be a good thing to hold on to. Page 29 has a flowchart on it: http://images.inyopools.com/cloud/documents/jandy-aqua-pure-error-codes.pdf

I'm sure someone else more knowledgable will be along (I've only had my AquaPure for a week), but I've received good support for Jandy via email. Might want to give them a call or email them as well.

You should have your aquapure wired to the same relay as your circulation pump so it will only run when the pump runs. The sensor should only have power at that point when circ pump is on. Do you have the newer sensor with the little grey box on the sensor cord that shows a flow indicator and the ability to use an A or B setting for the system?

Thanks for the responses all! Attempting to address all of them in one post...

cowboycasey - I thought about cleaning the sensors, however, the new cell has only been installed for about 4-6 weeks. I didn't think they would need cleaning that quickly, so I passed on doing that (kind of a PIA to get to the stupid sensors - would like to avoid if possible).

ITR - thanks for the links -- will check that out when I get new batteries for the voltmeter. Hopefully tomorrow.

Rossterman - I have the newer sensor - the grey box which dangles outside of the main control box. It has the ability to show flow indicator and the ability to use the A/B setting. It is that box where the flow indicator always stays lit, which then also indicates to the control box that there is flow. That's one good thing about the situation, the sensor is always in sync with the control box - if flow is lit, the box shows flow. If it is not lit, it doesn't show flow.

I forgot to mention that the control box is not showing any service codes. Also, it appears that this occurring sporadically, possibly related to the frequent power outages we have. On Saturday, I cut off all powder to the system via the breaker, waited 2-3 minutes, and turned the breaker back on. It seems to have fixed the problem for now and upon further reflection, I have noticed the flow light on when the system is not running usually after a power outage. The only thing that made me think of this is that I have noticed the light being on when I am resetting the time on the pump control + more often than not, the flow light is on when the system is off at that point. Hope that makes sense.

I'll see if I can get some pics tonight of my wiring scheme -- I followed the instructions in the manual to a T, or so I thought...

Thanks again all!

John

Apologies for the non-communication -- I thought my issue was solved. It isn't.

I returned Sunday from a quick 3 day business trip to see the flow indicator on the grey box was flashing and that my salt level had not decreased in about a week. Tested the water and lo and behold, zero chlorine. Reset the system again by cutting power to the pool and when I restarted the power and reset the pump control, everything appears to be working normally. I have boosted the chlorine production on the SWG and will be testing chlorine levels this afternoon.

Here are the pictures of the set up. Again, the new SWG is only now about 3 months old -- but we continue to have issues where it appears the control box goes on the fritz and either indicates there is flow when the pump is no running or indicates there is no flow when the pump is running. Restarting the system by cutting the power always fixes the issue for a while, which is puzzling.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

[Working on trying to get the photos up....]

Attachments

• IMG_1465.jpg
    IMG_1465.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1466.jpg
    IMG_1466.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 64
IMG_1466_zpsr6sehbt1.jpg

IMG_1467_zpsx0xvyhsk.jpg

IMG_1465_zps7wilnd6p.jpg

Have you called/emailed Jandy/Zodiac? Their email support has been pretty good for me and they even had me call in and spent an hour helping me reset everything a few years back. I agree, it's odd that it worked after power is cycled. Perhaps that's resetting a code that is tripped (programming code, not displayed error code). Unless anyone else has any ideas, I would give them a try since it's only 3 months old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you called/emailed Jandy/Zodiac? Their email support has been pretty good for me and they even had me call in and spent an hour helping me reset everything a few years back. I agree, it's odd that it worked after power is cycled. Perhaps that's resetting a code that is tripped (programming code, not displayed error code). Unless anyone else has any ideas, I would give them a try since it's only 3 months old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not yet, mainly because I have been traveling so much this summer... (I've only been in the pool once this season... :().

Will reach out to them. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jandy AquaPure w/ Sensor Interface Module

Returned this post to original thread. My apologies.

I tried suggestions on this thread and other threads to get the flow light on - cleaning SWG, cycling power to main unit, etc. I don't know if it was luck or if I accidentally stumbled across a Sensor Interface Module reset/calibration sequence. I held down the A button to switch to that mode and kept it held down for about 30 seconds, then I held down the B switch for 30 seconds (my system requires the B mode) and the flow light stayed on!

Background:
AFter cleaning the filter and SWG 2 weeks ago, I noticed the SIM flow light was always off. Found that I had forgot to return a downstream valve back on. I turned it back on, but even with water flowing through the SWG it still showed no flow. Then I tried cleaning the 2 metal tabs on the sensor, tried power cycling, tried disconnecting and reconnecting the sensor, etc. Finally the above trick seemed to work - cycling the SIM mode by holding the switch down much longer (30 sec) than it takes to switch modes (5 sec).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.