Clear water with algae in bottom of pool every morning, help!

Pooldv - it doesn't matter if his CYA is at 50 or 100 as long as he reaches chlorine above 10 through shocking it will start killing algea.
Well, that is just incorrect. The effectiveness of chlorine is dependent upon the CYA level.

PoolboyQ101,
Please read a bit more of what we teach and you will find the FC/CYA relationship is a cornerstone of our pool care.

I had/have the same thing going on. My FC was actually higher than yours but my CC was at 1. I had visible algae and the water was crystal clear. I had just had a bout with algae about 3 weeks ago and figure I didn't get it killed off so I upped to shock and will be stepping up to Mustard Algae shock level. Something else I found is that my plastic ladder while looking clean on the outside had a wonderful amount algae growing in it. I took it apart, bought a brush and cleaned the inside of the tubes. Take a look around at places where the algae can hide and not come in direct contact with the chlorine. I would think for your climate you would want your FC up in the 5-7 range wouldn't you?

Also, is the algae green or does it look sandy? I have read where people thought they had an algae problem and it turned out to be sand being put in the pool from an issue with the sand filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Once you startrt the SLAM brush all that stuff on the bottom up into the pool water. Better yet, vacuum it first and then brush whats left into the pool water. That'll help filter it out and allow the chlorine to kill any remaining algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.