Light cloudy blue water

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: I suspect you still have algae. If that was an algaecide you used, you only masked the effects and really didn't kill it. You need 3 things to kill algae ... 1) The proper test kit (TF-100 link below); 2) lots of regular bleach; 3) follow the TFP "SLAM" page (link below). Those things together will ensure you eliminate any algae. If you already have a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit, please post a full set of results and we'll evaluate those numbers for you. Nice to have you with us.

15 x 24 oval above ground. 8496 gallons of water. Location worcester, ma. sand filter, vinyl pool
Have ordered my test kit should have it by the weekend...

Check my numbers today
Pool still cloudy light blue.

Fc. Ovr. 15.54 ppm
Tc. ovr. 15.54 ppm
Cc. 0.ppm
Ph. 7.8
Hardness. 31 ppm
Alkalinity. 105 ppm
Cyanuric acid. 87 ppm
Copper. 0.1 ppm
Iron. 0.1 ppm
Phosphate. Ovr. 2275 ppb.

Should I still continue the bleach
What about my Hardness being to low
Do i need to lower my phosphate

Have the pool pump running for the next few days.

Any ideas

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

One of the things you'll learn here and from testing your own water is some of those pool store test items won't apply to you. Low CH for example applies for plaster pools, so nothing to worry about there. Phosphates is a way for pool stores to make money with their magic potions (yes, I bought it before TFP too). :) Right now with cloudy water we're most concerned with CYA and FC, but we cannot trust those pool store results - especially for CYA. It's too critical. So we'll wait until your kit arrives so we advise you properly the first time. For now, until your kit arrives, I would simply add about 1/2 gallon of regular bleach to your water each evening. That's it! Nothing more.

When your test kit arrives, we'll help you verify CYA first, then adjust if necessary. From there we'll adjust pH and FC to help you perform a TFP "SLAM" (link below). You can read that page and bookmark the other vital links below in my sig. You'll use them often. Once you see how this all works with your test kit, you'll wonder why you never did it before. Have a great day!

Well, not sure how you get 15.54 FC (two decimal points?) Computer test maybe?

87 CYA (most of us have trouble with testing to within 5 PPM as it is so subjective a test)

Phosphates do not matter, FC relative to CYA matters to keep algae in check.

But even if the FC is accurate, based on plugging your numbers into Pool Math your shock level is 34 if your CYA is truly in 87 range.

I say you will need to wait for your kit to get good numbers. In the meantime, get familiar with Pool Math and read Pool School a couple of times.

I am sure some more expert than me will chime in, not sure how quickly as it is an holiday! Just didn't want you to feel lonely ;)

I'll give this back to you and let you decide ..:) "IF" those pool store results above were indeed correct, then with a CYA of 90, you could actually be in the water if your chlorine level was as high as "35". So yes, you could be in the water. Even if your CYA was only 40 you could still be in the water with an FC up to 16. You'll see where I get that from on the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below). Enjoy! :swim:

Just arrived my pool test kit tf-100
Numbers
Cyanuric acid 80
Calcium hardness 90
Fas/did chore test 14
Cc 1
Total alkalinity 150
PH 7.2
Tc cannot read over the chart level
Water is still light blue, 1/2 bleach each night pump running each day for 7 hours

Location worcester, ma
15×24 oval above ground pool
8486 gallons of water
Sand filter....

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Very good! :goodjob: So with that cloudy water and elevated CCs you know a SLAM is in order. Your CYA is a bit high for a non-SWG pool, but you can still SLAM, or you can do a partial water exchange to lower CYA. It's up to you. A CYA of 80 requires a SLAM FC of "31". Your pH is perfect, so it would simply be a matter of increasing FC to 31 with regular bleach and maintaining it there until you pass the 3 SLAM criteria. Of course continue to do all the other things listed on the SLAM page (link below). Let us know if you have any questions. Congratulations on the TF-100!

If you plan on exchanging some water that is fine. To try and answer your question, please see the "Chlorine/CYA Chart" link below in my sig. You are using the top chart (non-SWG pool). First, find your current CYA, then look to the right and find the corresponding "Shock FC" for that CYA. That's how you know how high to go for the "SLAM".

Hope that helps.

15x24 above oval pool vinyl.
Location mass
Cyanuric acid is 90
Calcium hardness 80
Fas/dpd 44
Cc 1
Total alkalinity ta 140
PH 7.5
Tccannot read off the charts.

Pool is now clear, but noticed some algae on the bottom corner.

What do I do next.?

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Keep it steady and consistent. If your CYA is still 90, then your SLAM FC level should be "35". No need to go any higher so you don't waste bleach. Make sure to sweep and brush the pool to keep any last bit of algae broken-up and off the surfaces so the bleach can do its job. Hang in there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.