First Timer, Using HTH 6-Way Kit, Can It Be Done?

Ok, so this is my first experience with a pool and pool maintenance. I have to say thank you to EVERYONE on this site because it has been an unbelievable resource in getting this going. I have an Intex 18 X 48 Round. I am using the BBB method (which really should be BBM because I need the Muriatic Acid way more than the Borax!) I am also using the HTH 6-way test kit (please don't hate me!) :)

I am wondering if anyone has successfully used the HTH 6-way kit for permanent maintenance? I have had the pool open since Memorial Day and I test frequently. (Daily at first and now every 2-3 days). Once I got CYA up to 40 and pH down to 7.5 all I really seem to have to stay on top of is Chlorine. I add bleach in the evenings as needed.

So, what am I missing? I am a teacher and pool ownership is definitely not in the budget, but I got the pool on sale at the end of last season for $199 and I dont really want to spend the money for a kit that costs nearly as much as the pool! My kids absolutely love it and I cant believe how affordable it has been so far. I know that everyone on these boards recommends the more expensive kits but so far I have had crystal clear water and no issues. Is it possible to keep going this way or will it come crashing down eventually? Has anyone out there used the HTH kit over time successfully?:confused:

Welcome to TFP!

The 6 way test isn't completely awful. :) No haters allowed here. TFTestkits.net also has a smaller test kit called the TF-50 which might be a better option in the future.

I have more of a BBM pool too. LOL! You're doing great. CYA at 40 is good. Keep FC above minimum at all times, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], and keep PH between 7.2 and 7.8 and you can swim all summer with no worries!

:paddle:

Add your pool info to your signature so we know more about it and can help you better. More here on what to out in your sig and how to do it, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

I speak from experience when I say:

You can maintain a pool with that HTH 6way test kit with 1 major exception. If you ever find yourself in a situation where you have to SLAM your pool, you will quickly find the shortcomings of that kit. You should strongly consider picking up at least a TF-50 kit.

Thanks for the advice guys! I am just going to keep telling myself that as long as I stay on top of my numbers, I will never have to SLAM! When it gets to the point that I do, I will have to admit you all were right and I will buy the kit. Until then, the HTH experiment continues! Can I go all summer without any trouble? We shall see....

Thanks again for all the help!

Good luck! Keeping FC above minimum is key. Keeping it at or 1-2 ppm above target on busy swim days will keep your covered. It is safe to swim when FC is above minimum and up to shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.