Where do my borates go??

Mar 18, 2008
I add borates to my water every swim season (originally Bioguard Optimizer $$$ and now Borax 8) ). But every season I have to add. My pool does not get drained and I have no other losses of pool water. Where does the stuff go?

Is this similar to the disappearing act the CYA does in my pool every winter?

Some borates will be lost to splash out. If you do a partial drain when winterizing, you will lose some that way. And if any water ever overflows or gets drained out for any other reason you will lose borates that way. But even with all of that, you should still maintain at least half of your borate level from year to year.

get some new strips. Yours might have gone bad.
Also, you are reading the strip in sunlight and not artifical light and waiting about 15-20 seconds for it to develop fully?

The strips are from last year and I was reading indoors but in a room with a lot of natural light...I will order some new strips from Dave as I am ordering a test kit for an employee as a gift for her new pool... :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.