Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where do my borates go??

1. Back To Top    #1

Where do my borates go??

I add borates to my water every swim season (originally Bioguard Optimizer $$$ and now Borax 8) ). But every season I have to add. My pool does not get drained and I have no other losses of pool water. Where does the stuff go?

Is this similar to the disappearing act the CYA does in my pool every winter?
    25,000 gal IG Utopia pool/Raypack gas heater/BBB

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where fo my borates go??

Backwashing? What kind of filter do you have?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Where do my borates go??

I have a pool that was sold in the US as "utopia pools"...there have been some hiccups...but overall is a very interesting design...but they have lost most of their US presence

http://desjoyauxusa.com/advanced-pool-t ... iltration/

4. Back To Top    #4

Some borates will be lost to splash out. If you do a partial drain when winterizing, you will lose some that way. And if any water ever overflows or gets drained out for any other reason you will lose borates that way. But even with all of that, you should still maintain at least half of your borate level from year to year.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I am using the LaMotte test strips and to my eyes it seems that I have no borates...I plan on adding this week and need to get my shopping list together..

6. Back To Top    #6

get some new strips. Yours might have gone bad.
    Also, you are reading the strip in sunlight and not artifical light and waiting about 15-20 seconds for it to develop fully?

7. Back To Top    #7

The strips are from last year and I was reading indoors but in a room with a lot of natural light...I will order some new strips from Dave as I am ordering a test kit for an employee as a gift for her new pool...