GeorgiaPoolOwner

Gold Supporter
Jun 9, 2015
Canton, GA
I am thinking of installing an aerator to cool my pool. It is consistently close to 90 during the day and will only get hotter later this month and into August.

Do these work in the SE, specifically Georgia, where we have really high humidity?

Doesn't this raise PH? How often will I need to add acid if I use aeration to keep the temp down? My PH stays relatively balanced as is right now where I rarely need to add anything throughout the year after the initial balancing.

An aerator will be less effective in humid weather and as you point out may raise PH depending on the TA level. You might consider a large box fan to blow over the top of the water and see if that helps any. The wind will help lower the humidity right over the water. Unless of course there is already a wind blowing then it won't be very effective. Combined with aeration, it might work a lot faster.

Thanks. I presume I'd have to do this every day for it to work, correct?

I guess my question is whether or not the costs (rising ph, and adding more acid) are worth the benefit (lower temp).

The answer to my question would depend on how much temp drop I could expect and how rapidly the PH would rise.

My alkalinity is a little on the high side right now at 100, but PH is staying stable at about 7.5.

I was aerating my pool a lot in order to lower my TA, and when I would run my fountain overnight, I would lose a degree or two more than I normally do at night when I leave the pool uncovered. But it wasn't a huge cooling off. I'd almost think you'd see more benefit by installing a solar heater and using it in reverse of the way most people do by running it at night to cool the water off, rather than heat it.

Ironically though my pool was nearly 90 degrees and dropped to 78 over the last 3 days due to cloudiness and rain. I'm wishing I had a heater. 88 is ideal to me, but I guess we all have our own ideals :)

Well, we're in hot humid Georgia also and we've used a fountain for 2 years in a row now to cool the pool and its worked well. 5 degrees lower in 24 hours.

Skippy's Pool Fountain link in siggy is what we use. My pH is boringly stable but if I need to add a little MA because of the fountain....so be it <shrug>

Aeration works to cool a pool....even in the Southeast.

Will it work enough to make you happy? Who knows. Thousands of variables. The higher you throw the water and the smaller the droplets, the more aeration you will experience.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.