When should I convert to chlorine from BAQUACIL?

If you normally drain the pool over winter, I would consider waiting til next year. Even if you dont normally drain, whenever you do decide to convert, draining/refilling might be the easiest way.

You could do it after you come back if you want to swim, In Roanoke, you probably have 'til Sep 15 or so for swimming.

The conversion will take a bit less than a week if your are diligent and do it correctly.

You would then be able to close as a chlorine pool and hopefully open next Spring to a Troublefreepool!

Please do not take advice from pool stores and start throwing things int he water they suggest.

+1

Expect your pool to be out of commission for 1-2 weeks. If you're already running your Baqua sanitizer at normal levels, then the process is going to take a while. As others have suggested, you might want to wait it out until the end of the season or into next year when your sanitizer levels will be low.

Yes, I have been on Baquacil for about 5 weeks (as long as I have had the pool). With us going on vacation this Saturday and not back for a week, I didn't want to start the conversion and not be able to watch it. I feel like it is wise to wait for next season. NO, I will not go to the pool store. Until now, I have spent $500 in chemicals (Baquacil) so far and am bleeding money. I want chlorine. Thank you so much for your help and this forum. I am seriously lost without your help.
Jake

- - - Updated - - -

+1

Expect your pool to be out of commission for 1-2 weeks. If you're already running your Baqua sanitizer at normal levels, then the process is going to take a while. As others have suggested, you might want to wait it out until the end of the season or into next year when your sanitizer levels will be low.
THank you TFP EXPERT! I will follow your advice.

Yes, I have been on Baquacil for about 5 weeks (as long as I have had the pool). .... Until now, I have spent $500 in chemicals (Baquacil) so far...
That sounds like a lot for only 5 wks unless you have a stockpile remaining. When i was on it and things went smoothly (as it should at start up), i was using a half gal of sanitizer/2wks, half gal peroxide/wk, 1 qt cdx/wk, and 3 oz algaecide wk. That is a lot less than $100/wk for a pool twice your size. I would consider trying to maintain the sanitizer closer to 30 ppm instead of constantly bumping it to 50. The problems for me came when pink slime started. could not keep it away; kept returning, and it cost me about $100 each time. Good luck. you will love switching to chlorine, at least i have.

Wow. Assuming you spend $50-$100 per week on Baq products, that's $700-$1400 per 14 week swim season (assuming June through first 2 weeks of Sept).

Holy cow, I don't spend that much money (including utility costs to run pumps) in an entire year! Baquacil is certainly a "rich man's" sanitizer...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.