CYA Question

cmg

Sep 19, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
My CYA has been dropping. Trying to figure out why. Someone had suggested the possibility of a leak, but wouldn't my salt level be dropping as well then since the water would be getting diluted? Not sure where to start my search for a cause.

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

There's a few possibilities. If you add your pool info as a signature, that will help you get the best advice here. Click "Read before posting" in my signature which has the instructions and some other good tips.

CYA will drop from water removal and replacement (backwashing, splashout, followed by refilling). It will only go up if you add more.

Salt can be added indirectly from other pool chemicals, especially chlorinating liquid, or by using softened water for refilling.

If you tell us about your pool and how you operate it, we can figure it out.

So an example would be an overflow letting water out, an autofill refilling with softened water. Another would be backwashing, then refilling, and chlorinating liquid added for a shock or as the day-to-day chlorine.

Gradual loss of CYA is normal, and salt rising can be normal, unless diluted by rainfall or water with little salt.

Here is my pool specs: 13K gal, IG pebble, Pentair VS pump, Sta-Rote System 3 cartridge filter, IntelliChlor SWG

Pool built in Dec. No chemicals other then acid have been added to the pool since the startup. Have an auto water leveler and have not noticed any changes in my water usage on my bill. Salt has been stable since Dec and PH fluctuations have been what to expect with a new pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.