Help! Foam cove problem during DIY liner replacement

Jun 14, 2013
Portland, Or
I am in the process of filling up my 12x24 doughboy with a deepend after doing a liner replacement. Everything was going well until I let the liner down for the final time and it set against the walls. It appears the the gladon original foam pool cove had a gap on the top and as the water filled the pressure pushed the foam core away from the wall on the backbends. As you can see in the attached pictures. I am not sure what I should do to fix this. I stopped filling with the water (only has about 12" in it) Thanks in advance

IMG_1051.jpgIMG_1052.jpg

Are you saying that the cove moved and the liner is dipped behind the cove?

Yes it is dippend behind the foam about 1/4" but only on the backbends. The tops were not firm against the wall. The pool store told me that the pressure of the water would push the foam against the wall but that didn't seem to happen in these spots.

If you don't fix it, dirt n algae will collect n grow there.

My 18x34 Doughboy had this happen. The foam piece is a good 4-5 inches away from the wall. After a couple of years, the water pressure has flattened the cove piece till you can barely feel it under the liner. No harm to the pool.

Thanks for all the advice. Since I only had a foot of water in it I drained it down to the top of the cove and pulled down a few sections of liner at a time so I could reach down and gorilla tape it. I wrapped the whole perimeter of the pool and started filling back up.

The tape solved the problem of the cove pulling away from the wall but I am still getting a wrinkle above the backbend. Anyone have any advice on how to keep the liner from doing this while it stretches for the concave side wall?

Thanks again for the help!

IMG_0711.jpgIMG_0711.jpg

Are you sure it's a wrinkle and not the tape? Wall wrinkles need gently pulled out. But they don't hurt anything.

Yes they are definitely wrinkles. The tape is doing great. It wrinkle appears at the base of the backbends. I am going to just accept the fact that I didn't get it perfect and try the two toilet plunger method to minimize them. Overall it looks good now, just one larger wrinkle and two smaller ones. Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.