Pentair multiport valve issue?

Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
I noticed today while my pump was running in routine "filter" mode, that a small amount of water was dripping out my waste pipe by the road (I noticed the ground was a little wet and it hadn't rained in a while). So I inspected the multiport valve (not sure if this is the correct term for it) and noticed that the looking glass was half full with water also. The multiport valve and handle was changed only a few months ago (I think 3 months), so it's relatively new. What could be the issue guys? Praying it's a simple fix! I know water shouldn't being getting through the "backwash/waste/rinse" line when the valve handle is on filter right? I'll post some pics of my setup.

Did you do the multiport valve replacement yourself or did you have someone else do it? I wonder if the spider gasket didn't become compromised somehow. Have you been careful to turn-off the pump when changing valve settings? Also, are you careful to move the valve in the "same" direction every time?

Did you do the multiport valve replacement yourself or did you have someone else do it? I wonder if the spider gasket didn't become compromised somehow. Have you been careful to turn-off the pump when changing valve settings? Also, are you careful to move the valve in the "same" direction every time?

Someone else replaced it before we moved in. I'm very conscious and ALWAYS turn off pump and move handle in same direction (clockwise) every time I use it. The guy who changed it (pool guy for previous owners) came by the house after we moved in and rubbed me the wrong way, so he wasn't welcomed back. He also did something shady that I won't get into. "Supposedly" he used a new setup multiport valve when he changed it but who knows!

I've had those issues and they suck. There are two possibilities I can think of for quick fixes. First, one of my valves was finicky about the direction it was turned. If I turned it clockwise to the "filter" setting, it would leak. If I turned it clockwise past the filter setting and then counterclockwise back to it, it would hold. Long shot but could help. Second, you could do a quick rebuild of it. Take it apart, lube the seals, then reattach the face with the proper criss-cross tighening pattern. The guy that installed it may have taken shortcuts. Again, probably a long shot but it will cost you only time.

I've had those issues and they suck. There are two possibilities I can think of for quick fixes. First, one of my valves was finicky about the direction it was turned. If I turned it clockwise to the "filter" setting, it would leak. If I turned it clockwise past the filter setting and then counterclockwise back to it, it would hold. Long shot but could help. Second, you could do a quick rebuild of it. Take it apart, lube the seals, then reattach the face with the proper criss-cross tighening pattern. The guy that installed it may have taken shortcuts. Again, probably a long shot but it will cost you only time.

The first fix seemed to work as of now. I went clockwise slightly pass the "filter" option (maybe 1/4-1/2"), then went back counter-clockwise and stopped it on "filter," checked the drain pipe and it appears water has stopped leaking. So we're good for now, if it starts leaking again, and I want to take it apart, do I simply just unscrew the 6 main screws holding the handle/faceplate down or is there any other steps or precautions I need to take before doing that (obviously the pump will be off)? What exactly am I looking for once I take it off, I'm assuming a gasket of some sort?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.