Low water flow - help!

Jul 2, 2016
VA
I'm a pool newbie. I've got a 12x20 above ground pool with a brand new 1hp pump & hayward plm100 cartridge filter with a brand new filter cartridge. I have almost no water flow when the filter cartridge is installed.
My local pool company came out & told me I had to replace the pump & replace the filter cartridge, which I did, but with brand new parts I still have the same problem. I don't have much faith in the pool company anymore.
Does anyone have any ideas why or what I can do to fix it? It worked perfectly when we closed the pool last fall.
For what it's worth, the check valve in the bottom of the filter doesn't seem to work. Please help

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Well, two things come to mind in your situation - either a partial obstruction or an algae situation in which your filter is continuously getting clogged. Since it seems to be happening more when the cartridge is installed, I'm leaning more towards algae/organics in the water - even if it looks clear. Any chance you can provide us with a full set of test results?

You do have me curious about that check valve though. Can you expand on why you think it doesn't seem to work? If you can maybe post a pic of your set-up or the location of that valve we'll see if it might be related to your problem.

Because many algaecides contain copper which will build up and stain hair, nails, water, plaster, vinyl and even dogs. The algaecides that don't contain copper don't kill algae they prevent it from growing in the first place. But, proper chlorine levels perform that function much better. It is important to maintain FC above minimum for your CYA at all times, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. When FC drops below minimum the kill rate for bacteria, viruses and pathogens is too low to effectively prevent person to person disease transmission, especially in kids. Another benefit of FC above minimum level is that it will prevent algae growth.

No worries. We are here to help.

What does your water look like?

Do you have some test results?
A test kit?

Often a filter that clogs up quickly is because of an early stage algae bloom. Nothing clogs a filter faster than some algae.

If you don't have a test kit then i recommend a TF-100 from http://www.tftestkits.com.

Need to post a full set of test results, by doing so you will get better information on what your problem is and how to fix it. Shocking (SLAM) will remove the algae but that might not be your problem which would waste time and money on not fixing the problem. Getting pictures posted and test results posted will get you good and reliable help. The information you get here will be 100% accurate and keep your cost of maintaining your pool low.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.