Blue water but pretty cloudy

Howdy tfp'rs I'm brand new to this site and have been attempting to soak up as much knowledge as I can (And I've learned a lot). Unfortunately I haven't been able to tackle this pool 100%.. On a good day the pool is like the cya test with the filter acting as the black dot.. In other words I can't see the filter on the bottom but I can see the bottom of the shallow end clear as day. there's also a slight film of what seems almost yellowish along the entire pool and there are large deposits along any angles (i.e. Where the shallow end starts declining) and after a thorough brushing it's just completely cloudy green. My tf-100 kit just came in today and I'm now confident enough to post a question lol. My results are as follows:
Fc: 3.5 ppm, Cc: 0, Ch: 250 ppm, Ta: 80 ppm and Cya has apparently dropped to 20 from two weeks ago (Pool store test) from 30.
Also Ph reads ~7.2-7.5
...so with this knowledge I suppose I'm just wondering if I do indeed need to perform the dreaded SLAM it or is it simply a matter of waiting until it clears completely? I've been making a solid effort of brushing daily and I'm running the pump 24/7 whilst back washing/rinsing every couple of days. All help is appreciated
-Alex

Hi Alex and welcome to TFP! Yes, you need to "SLAM" (link below). As long as your pH is close to 7.2, start increasing your FC with regular bleach. I would actually add a little more stabilizer to get your CYA to "30", then adjust FC with bleach to "12". Maintain that and do everything on the SLAM page each day and you'll clear-up that water so you can see the drain once again. :)

You shouldn't need to wait 48 hours to add bleach.

The thing with stabilizer is until it is dissolved, it may not register on a test. I think that may be why stabilizer instructions say to leave on recirculate.......in case granules get in filter UNdissolved? If you add it by our method......the sock method, I'd say that isn't the case. What's the sock method? Put it in an old tube sock to let it dissolve. I actually tie mine to a pool noodle and let them float.

Update 1: No changes.. As per expectation. I'm going to wait the total 48 hours, swim a little for the 4th, then officially start the slam process. I appreciate all the help so far!
P.s.- I purchased 6 large bottles of bleach knowing I'll need to use about 4 right out of the gate.. Is that enough to get me through this? Secondly as I add posts it no longer adds my signature.. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
You'll probably need more bleach. Once you get started and see how well FC holds up there at the SLAM level you'll get an idea how much you need each day. As for your sig, check your profile settings to ensure it is selected appropriately. Also, when you post, there should be a block at the bottom left that says "Include signature in post". Maybe one of those will help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.