I'm losing often about 1 1/2 inches of water per night in my in-ground vinyl pool with the pump running. Here is what I have done to troubleshoot so far:
1) Replaced the seal assembly on my pump and no water leaks out of the pump now...but it didn't solve my water loss issue of the pool.
2) Turned equipment off and plugged all lines including the skimmer to confirm it was not a tear in my vinyl. Did not lose any water like this. (used bucket test here)
3) Same as "2" above, but left skimmer line open to confirm it was not the skimmer line. Again, no water loss.
However, with the lines open and the equipment running, I lose the 1 1/2 inches.
I don't have a drain line (just a skimmer and 2 returns), so my guess is, that it's in one of the return lines. Agree? I do have some minor water loss by the filter, but nothing that could account for this.
So, a couple questions:
1) Is it safe to have my multi-port valve use only one of the return lines to figure out which line has the leak? If so and if I find the line, is it fine to use just 1 return line for a season or 2 (in order to wait for when I'm ready to invest the money in tearing up the deck)? Obviously it won't have as good circulation or clean as well, but should I be fine?
2) Does this Fix-A-Leak stuff work and if not, is there anything that does (other than tearing up the pool deck) http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=1878600