New pool owner

May 26, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
So all most a month ago me and my hubby went to get a very small pool for the kids and walked out of the store with at 15ft by 4ft pool that is 4 ft deep. Needles to say I have not been able to get the chemical levels right from the get go. went to pool store 3 times and each time walked out spending $60.00 or more and have yet to get any clorine to show up when i test the water. Water has been getting cloudy and a slimy film on sides and bottom of the pool. I am so glad I found this web site I was ready to pack the pool up and count my losses. I still have a lot to learn and I need to get a good test kit. But here I go on the hope of getting a crystal clear pool to enjoy. Going to get started tomorrow! :mrgreen:

Update: So I used the pool calculator and I added 44 oz of household bleach to the pool last night before I went to bed. I went out there and tested the water with my basic poolcare DPD test kit and it now reads that the Cl is at 2 or 4 (can't tell how to read it all the way yet) and my PH is at 7.5. I am so excited that the CL is finaly showing up when I test it. :-D

Congrats on the new pool, and congrats on finding this site! By using the BBB method, the pool calculator, and following the advice of these folks on this board, you soon will have that crystal clear pool you have been dreaming of. This is the test kit that I have http://www.tftestkits.net/ and its used by many of the members here. I highly reccommend that you purchase this kit and then post your first set of numbers obtained from it. Then people here will be able to point you in the directions you need to get the results you want.

Good luck and we will look forward to seeing your first results!

Welcome to TFP
I agree with Laenini on getting a test kit. Its allows you to manage your pool and not the pool manage you. Also add you location in your profile, and pool specifics in your signature. Helps people in answering your questions.

Welcome to TFP!

If you want to take total control of your pool, order the test kit. There is an article in Pool School that compares the 2 kits we recommend, no other will do. Don't get confuse when trying to buy one, 90% of the time you can't find the correct kit in stores and my be tempted to get a poor imitation. Order the kit online from TFTestkits.net or Taylor. Leslie's sells the K-2006 also, but many times not in their store. The TF100 is a better value, IMHO. I highly recommend it (have one myself).

I agree with eveything they have said...I have the Taylor kit...and the TF100...is so much better I just started using it this year. Already I see the difference no guessing on anything. Also it would be a good idea if you posted the type of pool you have, your equipment and things like this that you see in everyone's signature line. This will help the experts here be able to help you with your problems. Is your pool a quickset pool by intex? or is it a standard above ground pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.