Chlorine Odour Neutralization

May 19, 2009
Hi Guys,

Wanted to ask you experts if there are anyway i can neutralize chlorine odour in my plant room?
Extended use of TCCA has caused smell to seep from plant room to my garage.?

Does sodium thiosulphate work if i mist it? What about ammonia hydrozide or activeated charcoal liquid?

What is that you are using Trichlor (TCCA) in? An indoor pool? I don't understand what you mean by it's in a "plant room". If you have chlorine or volatile by-products in the air, then an air filter with good air exchange is the answer. As for what the filter will use, fresh air exchange is the most common, but UV is often used and there are also chemical filters and activated carbon -- usually as part of dehumidifier systems.

Have you measured the Combined Chlorine (CC) in the water that is using Trichlor as a source of chlorine? How about the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level? If the CYA is high, then it takes longer for monochlormaine, measured as CC, to oxidize so this can build up and smell.

Richard

Sorry if iv confused... i mean the room in which i have my chlorinator stored. Basically smell of TCCA tablets are seeping into the garage next door, not the pool.

I was wondering if there was anything that i can mist to nuetralize the smell besides buying an air purifier?

Oh I get it now. I'd suggest fixing the problem at it's source, if possible. Isn't the chlorinator supposed to be air-tight? Same with the container that stores the tablets? I know that I had a container of Trichlor years ago and it sealed so tightly that there was no detectable odor.

The pool builder installed an offline chlorinator w/ a pressure to atmosphere setup it can't be sealed so im stuck..

Again when i go change the chlorinator never now and then, the vapour coming out of the chlorinator kills... anything i can do to reduce this?

Maybe I'm just weird, but I like the smell of free chlorine. If there was one drawback to discontinuing use of my chlorinator it's that my pump room doesn't have that fresh chlorine smell that it used to. - only a very subtle hint of chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.