LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2015
Gaylesville, AL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
well, it seems that I just won a NEW Stenner 45MHP10 for $85 shipped to my house! :)

what am I going to need to plumb it into my pool? ... I already have a timer that I use for my "poor man redneck pool chlorinator".

what tubing should I be looking at purchasing... etc...?

I'm stoked that I got this at this price!

If it is indeed a brand new pump, it should come with the tubing and fittings to plumb it into the system and tank to get oyu up and running.

Once you get it, let us know if it's missing anything and we can help you figure out what you need.

well, it is coming from the big auction site, and from a pawnshop, so I am not expecting much other than the pump.
the good news is that I had already ordered 9ft of viton tubing to go with my other pump, so, we will see.

Well, my new Stenner came in today.
It seems to have everything with it... YAY ME!! :cool:

I spent the afternoon putting it in with what I had here... tell me what you think.

mGGXtEE.jpg

Looks good. You'll probably need to change that clear tubing out in a couple of years, but i wouldn't worry about it until it needs it.

If you're not going to cover it, I'd get the rain cap to go over the pump.

I have the rain roof coming, it should be here tomorrow... for over night, or until it gets here, I nailed the lid to a 5gal bucket to the top of the post (about 8" above the top of the pump).
I was planning on getting the UV tubing for pool opening next year.

I buried the 5gal bucket about 3/4 of the way into the ground (the white lid you see in the pic just left of the pump). Hopefully it keeps the bleach cooler, so it maintains better.

I know they say to use a "T", but I thought the 45 would work as well, if not better to carry the bleach to the pool without creating a dead space where it would just collect.

I have the pump set to 10 (full) , and have a timer set for 9 sessions of 5 minutes each (starting at 7am every hour until 3pm). We will see how that will do for dosing the pool.

The filter pump runs 24/7 at low speed during the swim season.

Interesting that you buried your bucket. I had thought about doing something similar, but havent. Right now my 5 gallon bucket sits on my concrete pad out in the sun. I did wrap it in reflective insulation, so that helps. But I'm still tempted to bury mine. Not sure it's a good idea though. So you'll have to let me know your thoughts.

I also have been tempted to get that bucket lid instead of the cheaper lid I've been using, which is such a pain to get off, I've taken to not even sealing the bucket all the way anymore. i just put a brick on the lid to keep the wind from blowing it away.

I got tired of filling the bucket through the pull-out pour spout, and the metal ring that keeps it in place was starting to rust pretty badly, so I started looking for a replacement.
This is what I found ...

Shop Encore Plastics 12-in White Plastic Bucket Accessory at Lowes.com

It works, but if the bucket is empty, and you are trying to get it off, you had better have someone/something holding the bucket for you. I think that having it buried like I do, it should solve that problem.

I saw that lid last time I was at Lowes, and was tempted to buy it for my bucket, but didn't. I may though, because the $3 one I got with my bucket is a pain. It wasn't designed to be taken on and off. Next time I'm there maybe I'll grab one.

I'm still torn on burying my bucket. It fits fine on the pad since I removed the previous chlorinator setup, but I feel like the heat the concrete absorbs is heating the bucket up more than I'd like. I haven't actually checked though.

Well, it seems that I have the Stenner dialed in for my pool.
I have the dial set to 10, and am using a digital timer to control the pump.
It is taking a total of 75 minutes run time to keep the pool where I want it.
I was wondering if that works out to about what others have found, relative to your pool size?

My numbers are as follows

FC 6.0
CC 0
Ph 7.5
TA 90
CYA 50
Borates 15 (I am bringing this up to 45-50 a little at a time)

The pump runs once an hour for 5 minutes from 6am - 7pm (keep numbers up during sun burn-off time) Then is set for a 10 minute run at midnight.

Is there a better way for me to set it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you're using 8.25% bleach you're losing about 3.5 ppm per day, which is a little high, but well within expected range. If you're using 6% bleach then you're losing about 2.5 ppm per day which is perfect. If you're using stronger bleach then you're losing a bit more and should look at your targets a bit closer.

All in all, I'd say you're not doing bad at all.

Well, I just took delivery of a 55gal barrel of 12.5% bleach!
I have a pump (hand pump) that is rated for the bleach as well, and told the wife that if she needs bleach for housework, just let me know, and I'll pump her out a gallon. (gotta keep mama happy) :)
I'll be burying it beside the pad this weekend (in 95 degree weather using post hole diggers)
I couldn't pass up the price I was offered, and no longer need to make room in the garbage bin for the empty bleach bottles.
Of course this means that I'll have to adjust my timer for the stronger bleach. But that IS part of the fun... isn't it? LOL

Keep us posted on the temps once you have it in the ground. I am planning to do the same thing next year. I already have my stenner but waiting to get a new dual timer before I set it up. Since this is my first year having a pool I figured I would ride this season out manually adding the chlorine. What type of pump did you get to transfer the chlorine?

I will post the results of temps in the tank vs outside air temp.
I will have the barrel buried in a shady spot to begin with, but Summer in Alabama can be brutal, so I feel that burying it is the right move.

Now I have a question for those that might know better than I... Since I have the stenner set up to dose the pool every hour (pretty much doing what a SWG does only without the salt), and having borated the pool, should I be targeting the lower SWG chlorine levels, or staying with the higher bleach targeted level?

I will post the results of temps in the tank vs outside air temp.
I will have the barrel buried in a shady spot to begin with, but Summer in Alabama can be brutal, so I feel that burying it is the right move.

Now I have a question for those that might know better than I... Since I have the stenner set up to dose the pool every hour (pretty much doing what a SWG does only without the salt), and having borated the pool, should I be targeting the lower SWG chlorine levels, or staying with the higher bleach targeted level?
You should aim to run the stenner enough to keep your FC at the target level for your CYA for a non SWG pool. The only time you would use the levels for the SWG pool is when you are using a saltwater chlorine generator. I personally have 3000ppm salt in my pool, but am not using a SWCG. I feed bleach in via my stenner and my CYA is 30 and I'm keeping FC at 4.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.