Hayward Pump Strainer Drain Plug Needed - Small Emergency!

crokett

Jul 17, 2007
Hillsborough, NC
I finished the plumbing for the pool this morning and went to prime the pump. We got this pool used several months ago. This is the first time I noticed the drain plug was missing from the pump strainer. I looked through what came with the pump and can't find it. I called 4 pool places, they are all closed until Tuesday. Seems to me this would be a busy weekend for them but oh well. Online the earliest I can get it is Tuesday. Does it use a standard plumbing thread of some sort that I can find at HD or Lowes? If I keep feeding it bleach and have the kids swim around, is that better than nothing?

The pump drain plug (many pumps have two) is 1/4" npt.

That a pretty standard thread and you may be able to get a bolt in there as a stop gap until you get the plug(s).

I'd fix the pump before swimming but that's your call.

I figured out the thread size... what I was looking at online is evidently a plug for something else. I went out and looked at the actual pump and went and got a brass plug. That's working until I get the part. I think it will work better if what I use has a shoulder on it that I can put a gasket on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.