Help me turn my pool blue again

Jun 25, 2016
KATY
Hello TFP,
My pool is swampy green and Id like to be able to learn how to turn it blue again. I received My TF-100 test kit and my following results are:

PH: 8.2
FC: 0 TC: 0
CH: 350
TA: 60
CYA: 0 (I filled the tube to the top and I could still see the black dot)

My brother performed the exact same test I did and he got the same numbers, with the exception of TA (he got 70).

I have purchased all my chlorine (about 12 gallons so far) and muriatic acid (4 gallons) and some stabalizer (I think thats the CYA) and im ready to begin. From my understanding I am suppose to balance the pool first (pH) before I add chlorine correct? I think an ideal goal is to be around 7.4 since the chlorine will raise the pH level slightly?

Im still a little confused with the pool calculator so forgive me if im wrong in any of this. Could someone tell me if im in the right direction or direct me on which way I should go?

Lower PH to mid 7 range before the SLAM. Add CYA (conditioner) to 30 and use FC for that to SLAM at that level. That's a LOTTA MA you have. Should only need around 24 ounces to drop that down or so. You just MIGHT need some more bleach too. Have at it and STAY on it.

Welcome :)

What a great first post. You've done your reading for sure. And don't forget this step.

Brush......a lot. Algae doesn't like to be brushed at all.

Hope You'll have a sparkly pool really soon.

Lower PH to mid 7 range before the SLAM. Add CYA (conditioner) to 30 and use FC for that to SLAM at that level. That's a LOTTA MA you have. Should only need around 24 ounces to drop that down or so. You just MIGHT need some more bleach too. Have at it and STAY on it.
Yea I think I might have gone a little overboard. Rather be over prepared the under prepared. I forgot to mention I have maybe like 12 bags of shock/chlorine powder you get at the homedepot/pool store. Is that ok to use or do you guys recommend liquid chlorine? From the label it looks to be quite a bit stronger than the bleach?

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome :)

What a great first post. You've done your reading for sure. And don't forget this step.

Brush......a lot. Algae doesn't like to be brushed at all.

Hope You'll have a sparkly pool really soon.
Thanks, I made sure to order a new pool scruber when I placed my order for my TF-100 kit.

Yea I think I might have gone a little overboard. Rather be over prepared the under prepared. I forgot to mention I have maybe like 12 bags of shock/chlorine powder you get at the homedepot/pool store. Is that ok to use or do you guys recommend liquid chlorine? From the label it looks to be quite a bit stronger than the bleach?

The important thing is understanding what chemicals you are putting in. Granular chlorine is stabilized either by calcium (calcium hypochlorite) or CYA (di-chlor and tri-Chlor)

You can read the ingredient and use the bottom of pool math in "effects of adding chemicals" and play with that. If it's dichlor keep in mind you'll be adding CYA with it too so you don't want to overshoot your CYA number.

The important thing is understanding what chemicals you are putting in. Granular chlorine is stabilized either by calcium (calcium hypochlorite) or CYA (di-chlor and tri-Chloe)

You can read the ingredient and use the bottom of pool math in "effects of adding chemicals" and play with that. If it's dichlor keep in mind you'll be adding CYA with it too so you don't want to overshoot your CYA number.
Wow!!! I did not even notice that part of the pool calculator.
Ill play around with it and see what I find. A million thanks!!!

So its been three days and my pool dosent seem to be improving much. I got home and performed the test and these are my results
PH-7.2
FC-15
CC-4
TC-19
TA-110
CH-375
CYA-0 (i could still see the dot when the whole tube was filled)
Any suggestions as to what to check for next? Ive been scrubing the pool at least 3 times daily but not much improvement.
By pool math calculations it says for a 16000 gal pool I would need 64 oz of stabalizer but im not sure on how to add it? Any help

We would reccomend putting CYA is a sock.......like really an old tube sock and hanging it in front of a return. Or maybe putting it in a skimmer. I tie mine to pool noodles. The point is to not broadcast it on the pool floor or put it directly as granules into a skimmer.

Also, are you performing the CYA test in full sunlight with your back to the sun?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We would reccomend putting CYA is a sock.......like really an old tube sock and hanging it in front of a return. Or maybe putting it in a skimmer. I tie mine to pool noodles. The point is to not broadcast it on the pool floor or put it directly as granules into a skimmer.

Also, are you performing the CYA test in full sunlight with your back to the sun?
So I should place 64 oz of stabalizer in an old sock and then place the sock in the skimmer?

I performed the CYA test with the sun going down. I work during the day so I can only check the CYA before night.

Should I drain some of the pool since my calcium might be high?

The pool did improve during the first day only. I just wanna make sure im on the right track here, sorry for all the questions.

Ok so after letting the pump run for a week and scrubing at least twice a day my pool is still cloudy. Woke up today sun out and performed my test and these are my result:

PH-7.0
FC-12
CC-2
TC-14
CH-350
TA-110
CYA-20

The pool has improved in color but it is more like a teal-green.
Im thinking of opening my filter and cleaning it and adding some D.E, but I didnt want to mess with anything and make things worse. Any advice?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.