Cloudy Blue Water

Ckelly1212

Bronze Supporter
Jul 2, 2016
Fort Johnson, NY
Hi all, first time poster here. Been having problems with a blue cloudy pool all season so far so after alot of reading here decided to make the investment into a TF-100 test kit. Love the kit!

I have a 21' x 4' round above ground vinyl pool with sand filter.

Initial readings were as follows:
PH 8.2
FC .5
CC 0
TC .5
TA 180
CYA ~10-15 (filled the cylinder to the top and the black dot is hazy but visible so I'm estimating)

Pool calc says to add 35oz of CA. I had some granular CA on hand and didn't want to overshoot so added about 20oz.

Calc also calls for 98oz of 6% bleach. Should I add that in about an hour as well?

Also, how concerned should I be with the high PH and TA readings at this time?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!
Chris

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You already have the test kit so ready to roll :)

You're going to need to SLAM it though :(

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

You'll need to get the PH down to 7.2 before starting and CYA around 30. With what you already added you should be pretty close to 30.

With it being only cloudy hopefully it will be a quick and easy one and then enjoy the sparkling clear water!

Perfect, I'll get that MA in there and get the pH down and start slamming this afternoon.

How often should I brush during slam? A couple times a day?

No less than once a day. But seriously I'm a believer in the more the better. Algae doesn't like being brushed. I find in my own pool with a sand filter even when it's looking clear that brushing lots the more I brush, the quicker it stops looking cloudy.

So I got my MA in and I'll retest in about a half an hour and adjust if necessary until I get it down to around 7.2.

With my test numbers from this morning in the pool calc it says shock level at 10ppm, that's the level I need to maintain during slamming correct?

You added CYA right? You'll want to calculate that in. So if you added enough to get your CYA to 30 you'll want to target your FC for CYA of 30 which would be 12 for shock.

If the CYA was placed in a sock to dissolve and is all dissolved, you should be able to test for it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
First time I've ever used MA and it worked perfectly!! Retested the pH and it's exactly 7.2. You're all lifesavers, thanks so much!

Didn't bother with the CYA test, just went ahead and added the 123oz of liquid chlorine as per the pool calc to begin slamming.

I'll post updates and thanks again for pointing me in the right direction everyone!!

UPDATE - Well it took about a week (with my hectic schedule of softball games with kids and work) but the bottom of my pool is visible again. Not crystal clear, but it will be soon with the help I've gotten here.

Thanks again for all your help!

UPDATE - Well it took about a week (with my hectic schedule of softball games with kids and work) but the bottom of my pool is visible again. Not crystal clear, but it will be soon with the help I've gotten here.

Thanks again for all your help!

:)
Kudos to you. You decided to take control with a good test kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.