Suction side leak on hot tub pump

Jun 5, 2016
Long Island
I've determined I most likely have a suction side leak somewhere underground but would like to get another opinion. I have a pool with a hot tub that can overflow into the pool. The hot tub has one return that's tied into the pool pump, filter, heater system. My issue is with the dedicated pump that would supply the rest of the return jets (5 or so) for the bubbles etc. The pump never reaches prime, the water flowing out of the returns trickles out. I redid the above ground plumbing on the suction side with no changes and also took apart the pump but that looked fine as well. Overnight the hot tub water level drops at least a few inches when the main pool pump is off. It then refills when the main pool pump turns on because the 3 way valve that diverts water to the hot tub never actually shuts off (another separate issue). The pumps are above the pool and hot tub. Any thoughts on how to determine where in the line the leak is? Would a camera on a long snake be effective in finding this kind of leak? Also wouldn't I see a significant amount of dirt accumulate in the hot tub when running this dedicated pump if the suction leak was underground?

Welcome to TFP :)

How does your water look? May sound crazzy but sometimes the filter is clogged and not letting water flow like it should, what is the PSI on your filter when clean and now.. how high is the water in the skimmer, is there a twister/tornado look in it, that will pull air into the pump also.

I hope this helps :)

Thanks. Water is crystal clear, filter pressure around 18psi. This pump in question goes directly from the hot tub suction to the returns. There is no filtration or heat involved in this pump as far as I can tell. Recently bought the house so don't know how it was setup other than by trial and error.

post a couple picture of your setup from different angles, some of us on here can spot something maybe that you don't see :)

post a couple picture of your setup from different angles, some of us on here can spot something maybe that you don't see :)
The hot tub booster pump is the one that says Hayward and is closest to the heater. The other pump near the filter is plumbed into all valves, filter, heater etc. I'm assuming 2 of the suction lines into the hot tub are for the booster pump and 2 are part of the filtration system. I could be wrong on the number allocated to each but definitely one is tied to the main pump and filter setup.

07e25ec4c3e433faa1493ff59a8a6239.jpg

21f198008cb40759527eaa04404d4510.jpg

555105dd457203d6c1a07d197b447e3f.jpg

0996b209a130f40203f792cb70077bcf.jpg

I was hoping something would jump out at anyone.. I do not see anything out of the ordinary that would be an obvious problem..

Hopefully this will bump it again, sorry..

if it was the suction side you would have air in your pump basket and if on the pressure side you would have water level drop and wet areas around the pool pad or surrounding areas (maybe) if under a deck you may not see a pressure side leak..

These may also help :)

Pool School - Leak Detection
Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.