New pool owner - so messed up!

Apr 28, 2016
port st lucie
I upgraded! 16 X 48 above ground with stock filter. About 3000 gallons. Please help!

So, thought I was doing pretty good, until now. Frustrated I sent my hubby (who knows nothing) to the pool store. While I was at work.
He came back with this Analysis.
-No chlorine ( I had the chlorine smell so i hadn't added in a week or so).
-Cyanuric Acid low (20).
Alkalinity 0
PH low 6.8
Phosphates high 200

all else ok. lol.

His recommendation- when PH in in the proper range (?) Do I tackle this with PH up first? Add 5 lbs of soda ash (can i use borox?) while pump is running.
blah blah blah, don't know what any of it means. Don't know what to buy or when to do it. Leslie pools in Jensen

Hello! :wave: Well, we need to verify a few things before we can really help you get back on the right path:
- Please try to verify your pool size (gallons). Your description and signature say two different things which may dictate our advise.
- Proper test kit. You really must have one; either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C (link below). Pool store testing is notorious for being wrong most of the time.
- You really must read our Pool School page (link below and on home page) to understand what you should do for your water. Once you have a basic understanding, it will make more sense when we try you help you.

Please try to confirm some of this for us and we'll be glad to try and help you further. We're all about pool ownership and testing on your own. It's not that hard, you just need the right tools and a little advise. Nice to have you with us.

My test kit is a 3 way. I am planning on getting a better one, the one you recommend. But for now, I wanted my pool to be in good shape for the weekend. I did read the pool school page, I will read again.
I upgraded to a bigger pool- it is 14 x 42, 3300 gallons. sorry about the bad info- I tried to change the signature when I upgraded but cant figure out how.

For your signature, try some of this:
Try going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. Or you can click EDIT YOUR SIGNATURE. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

The 3-way should at least help you ensure pH is between 7.5-7.8, so that's good. But your CYA is important because depending on how high your CYA is, that tells us how high your FC should be as well (please see the Chlorine/CYA Chart link below). So with an ideal (minimum) CYA of 30, you can see on that chart your FC should be around 3-4 ppm, and never below 2. That is VERY important to keep algae away. You apparently have no way to test CYA right now unless you buy a CYA test from the local store, and if you chose to accept the pool store's test, just remember they are often incorrect on that CYA test. But you are in a tough spot right now. But you do want a CYA of at least 30, and keep the FC around 3-4 ppm. Hope that helps you.

A strong chlorine smell means your Free Chlorine (the good stuff!) is overwhelmed by the contaminates in the water (the "Combined Chloramines" aka CCs) and in actuality *needs* more chlorine to kill all the cooties.

Please read this: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

And also this may be helpful: Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools

But MOST important is for you to stay out of the pool $tore (credit to needsajet for that spelling, lol) and do your own testing.

so,
What to do now, should i just forget about the reading from the local pool store and go with my test for now? My test shows no chlorine but says PH is fine. Just add chlorine tonight?

- - - Updated - - -

or Should I shock tonight?

also, that test kit is expensive, recommend any cheaper versions?

If your water is clear with no cloudiness or algae, then use your 3-way to test and confirm FC. You can increase FC with regular bleach. All of us here use the "Poolmath calculator" (link below) to see how much bleach or any other chemical to add. But regular bleach will increase your FC very well, and you should be able to test it with your 3-way drop tester.

ok, will do! I have chlorinating liquid from walmart. Since I am at 0 chlorine, should I shock with the liquid? what about a new test kit, any recommendations for something that works better that what I have for a cheaper price tag?

what numbers do i use to fill out the pool calculator? does it fill in automatically if i put in the gallons? i dont have all the numbers, other than from the pool store.

I always recommend the TF-100 (link below). If you simply can't get that right now, Wal-Mart might have a 6-Way HTH test kit (drops) that will help you for a couple weeks or so. But the TF-100 needs to be something you get soon. Yes, the Wal-Mart Great Value or Pool Essentials bleaches will work. We at TFP do not "sock" our pools though. We simply maintain the proper FC level all the time. If we ever get algae, we do a "SLAM" as noted in the link below in my sig.

As long as your water is clear and you see no green, we'll hope things are going well until you can get the proper kit. Use the Poolmath calculator to tell you how much bleach to add by entering your NOW number "0" and your TARGET number let's say "4". Great Value bleach is 8.25% and Pool Essentials is probably 10% in strength, so update that in the "WEIGHT" field.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
On the row titled "FC", enter "0" in the NOW field, and your goal (4) in the TARGET field. Then manually enter the percentage bleach you are using in the WEIGHT field. Once you do those things, move your mouse cursor over the fields in the middle that say "Add" and you'll see that it shows you how much bleach to add.

Don't forget to go the bottom of PoolMath and specify that your pool surface is <?> and that you're chlorinating with "bleach" and you want to use "Troublefreepool.com" for your guidance. Then enter in the left column your current test results, and then in the right hand column your desired levels. Note that each chemistry box will give you a suggested range to help guide you. Fill it out and hit "calculate" and see what the suggestions are.

Cool, Thanks!!
I see how it works now!

I bought Borox because the pool store suggested, do I need it at all? My chlorine and PH read is good on my test kit and my pool doesn't smell today, :)
What is soda ash or borox for? Does it do the same as PH up?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.