New Ultra Frame Intex Pool Questions

May 24, 2016
Ripley/MS
Hello. We just got the new Intex Ultra Frame 22' by 52" pool with the dual suction setup. I have a couple of questions.
First, a little background. We have owned two Intex easy set inflatable ring 18' by 48" since 2008. We upgraded to the 2500gph filter a long time ago. Those pools are about 5500 gallons or so I think. This one is about 10,000+ gallons. Our most recent (2nd one) pool died on us last week so we decided to go ahead and upgrade the size of the pool. The ring gave out on it and started dumping water in the yard at 3am. It had to be inflated a few times while it was draining. The first one died like that after it reached 106 degrees here in North MS. Also, we do store our pools away for the winter. We got about 5 seasons out of the first and about 3 out of the second one. We went with an ultra frame this time bc of price (discounted at Wal-Mart) and size and less for my cats or the birds to destroy.
Now, my questions.
1. The pool came with a new 2500gph filter. Will it be large enough or is it like other Intex pools and they send pumps too small for the pool? We would probably not upgrade until next year but I was wondering about it. We had a 1500gph with the easy set and had to use a 2500gph with them. It worked better.

2. The pool has a little water slowly coming from the underside. Any ideas? This happened also with both our easy set pools. Once the water reached a certain level it quit and then was fine. Just curious as to why. It looks to be very slow or maybe it is stopping.

3. This pool has a dual suction intake. Do I hook the skimmer up the same way but just to one intake and let the other one just suck in water? Also, which one? Does it matter? I have the adapter piece for the ultra frame. I want to make sure I am doing this right.

4. Lastly, what is a good repellent for cats (and yes these are pets, not pests but can be both I guess haha)? I have one of the nosiest cats. She would get up on the ladder of the other pool and try to walk on the rim if I didn't stop her. She loves the water. We just started filling it the other day and I caught her hanging on the frame looking in at the water. I looked up sprays and ultrasonic devices. I am wondering if any of you have any thoughts on that (other than harming my cats of course).

Thank y'all for all the help! Every new pool is a new adventure here. We haven't gotten into hard-plumbing anything yet. Trying to keep it somewhat simple. We will take it apart and store it in the Fall.

1. What kind of filter did it come with? If cartridge, I would immediately upgrade to the largest sand filter.

2. Are you saying the pool leaks from the bottom?

3. Well, I am not sure how these are typically plumbed, but I assume it does not matter which only you hook the skimmer up to. From what I read, the through the wall skimmers are a great upgrade.

4. I am no help on this.

Yes. It is a filter cartridge pump. I have only begun to research the sand filters. I do not know much about them.
The pool does have a tad bit of water coming from somewhere from the bottom. Our other two pools did that too but stopped after they filled up. Not sure why it does that. This one is very very slow so far. I think it can be managed.
I saw those skimmer upgrades also but do not know how to do those yet. Not sure if I will do that this season while it is under warranty as limited as that is.
Yeah my cat is crazy. I hope she loses interest but I doubt it. Still working on it.
Thanks! :)

1. I would immediately upgrade to the largest sand filter. +1

Best thing I ever did with my Intex pools, gets rid of filters which cost $ more betterer and easier to maintain and clean.

2. Did you dish your pool base and have rain happen before/during fill? Have you checked your drain(s) inside and out plugs in and tight and caps on with washers? If a bottom seam is suspect do not hesitate to contact Intex asap and they will more then likely send you a whole new pool, from what I have read, not experienced.

3. Through the wall widemouth FTW, did mine this year and it is wonderful, not too hard just go slow.

4. My neighbours cat used to perch on the inflatable ring of my older pools and play in the water. There are numerous solutions to this problem ranging from you like the cat so build it a deck next to the skimmer to keep him off the rail, to I hate that cat gimme a gun. Build your cat a deck next to your new skimmer, you won't be able to keep him/her out at least pick the access point.

1. I would immediately upgrade to the largest sand filter. +1

Best thing I ever did with my Intex pools, gets rid of filters which cost $ more betterer and easier to maintain and clean.

2. Did you dish your pool base and have rain happen before/during fill? Have you checked your drain(s) inside and out plugs in and tight and caps on with washers? If a bottom seam is suspect do not hesitate to contact Intex asap and they will more then likely send you a whole new pool, from what I have read, not experienced.

3. Through the wall widemouth FTW, did mine this year and it is wonderful, not too hard just go slow.

4. My neighbours cat used to perch on the inflatable ring of my older pools and play in the water. There are numerous solutions to this problem ranging from you like the cat so build it a deck next to the skimmer to keep him off the rail, to I hate that cat gimme a gun. Build your cat a deck next to your new skimmer, you won't be able to keep him/her out at least pick the access point.

I think the drains are ok but I am going to check again.
Sorry but what do you mean by dish the pool base? I have not heard that before. But we had a rain before we set up the pool and let everything dry. But, since then there has not been any rain. I checked it today and it is not any worse than it was. It is like the first two pools we had. I hesitate to contact Intex because of the experience we had with them over the skimmer a couple of years ago. It was very hard to understand each other and went nowhere. I'm going to keep an eye on it though but I hope it does like our other pools did and stops. Seems better today. (I have heard of people exchanging liners just to get another one that does the same thing. Our pool is already filled now.)
That's an interesting idea about the cat. Since we have had three pools we now have a ladder collection. I have one with the platform and may put it over near the skimmer so she can watch. At least maybe she won't scale the side of the pool that way.
Thank you too!

- - - Updated - - -

I got the skimmer hooked up today and it seems to do better with this pool than it did with our inflatable ring pool. So far it is skimming the stuff coming around the edge of the pool. The pump had already been running before I changed it so the chlorine dispenser and some bugs were circling around in the middle already. The pump is running quietly though and seems to be doing well. I'm going to check on it too often because of the trouble we had with the skimmer on the other pool.
Someday, I may do the through the wall skimmer. Sounds like a neat idea.
Also, seems like the sand filter would be good too.
Thank y'all for the help so far.
Anything else is welcome also.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.