New gauge, new leak

ChewBiscuit

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 25, 2013
Cedar Rapids, IA
I fear the answer to this....

I just installed a new pressure gauge in my filter, putting tape around the threads and screwing it in. When I fired everything back up, I hear a whistle and then water started sputtering out around where the gauge meets the valve. Is there anything I can do to repair this short of replacing the whole valve piece?

Thank you.

Did you use too much tape, twist in the gauge too far and crack the valve?

You could try teflon paste instead as it might better seal things. Does it screw in to a location where a hose clamp could be tightened around it to try to close up the crack (if that is the problem).?

Is that tapered? If so, it would be more difficult. You could wrap some electrical tape around the narrow end to be closer to the fatter end and then put a clamp around it to hold things together.

Have you tried caking the gauge out a bit to reduce the stress? Maybe try with the paste instead of tape and just gently install it.

Is that tapered? If so, it would be more difficult. You could wrap some electrical tape around the narrow end to be closer to the fatter end and then put a clamp around it to hold things together.

Have you tried caking the gauge out a bit to reduce the stress? Maybe try with the paste instead of tape and just gently install it.

I'll give that a shot. Yeah, it's tapered a little. I'll do the electrical tape thing as well.

I think i'm going to go ahead and order my valve, and just hope this can be a stop gap. (I was stupid and attempted this seemingly simple replacement while SLAMming, I just knew I should have waited until I was done, argh)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks again for the responses, it's a big help.

Even now, you may save it by not overtightening. That connection is not even supposed to be hand tight so just snug it down with fresh, clean pipe dope (again, hardly even hand tight) and see what you get.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.