New build VS upgrade cost

gqneon

May 26, 2016
Frisco, TX
I'm mid-build for a new inground (I have a build thread in that forum too) pool and my pool contract called for a Hayward TriStar single speed 2hp pump. I started doing my homework and I think I can get great filtration and turnover and save a chunk of cash going VS since we have a long swim season in Texas.

My pool build cost includes that original pump above so I asked how much to jump up to the TriStar VS model. They quoted me (via text and indirectly from a guy I can't get a hold of to talk to) $795 for their EcoStar model for the upgrade assuming my TriStar hasn't been taken out of the box by the plumbers yet as a credit. I looked online and saw that I can BUY the EcoStar outright for just under $900 so that sounds like I'm paying for both pumps and giving them one back basically. I called the last two days trying to get a salesperson or help on the phone but no one has been able to help so I told them to just stick to the single speed pump and I'll do it myself when they're done I guess.

Am I missing something in the pricing or is this just a full mark up scheme thing?

Right now it feels like that old "they've got my money" and can't be bothered feeling.

Just curious on your input!

I'm no expert on VS pump costs but......i would caution that their cost quotes are including installation which might account for the difference in what you're seeing online?Did you price out your current pump online?

Installation isn't that difficult if you're handy, but can pose its own challenges.

Sounds like you have a bit of a reason to be frustrated not getting answers from builder. I wish my pool builder could work for everyone. Phenomenal service I got......always took my calls on his cell. Got the build itself done in less than a week. Took longer to get concrete decking poured of course so ground could settle.

There shouldn't be a difference in installation costs. You think you should pay for the difference in the cost of the pumps.

I remember when my wife and I bought a new construction house. The upgrade costs for plumbing fixtures were high. From what I recall they were almost the cost of the nicer fixture.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

There shouldn't be a difference in installation costs. You think you should pay for the difference in the cost of the pumps.

I remember when my wife and I bought a new construction house. The upgrade costs for plumbing fixtures were high. From what I recall they were almost the cost of the nicer fixture.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

I was referring to the difference in cost of buying the one advertised online vs what the builder is quoting to upgrade. Maybe I wasn't clear on that. I know we just replaced our motor ourselves and the DIY cost was significantly lower than quoted by a pool company.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.