SWG and Phosphates/Nitrates

Jul 1, 2016
Carrollton, TX
Hi, Using the advice from this site, I have been able to go from a persistent problem with black algae to "trouble free" in a few short months. Thanks!
I was researching salt water generators to reduce the problem of purchasing and storing liquid chlorine. I was using tri-chlor but my CYA levels got too high (80), I tried cal-chlor but my calcium hardness and PH started to go crazy. So I'm left with constant purchases of liquid chlorine or install a SWG.
The question I have is regarding Phosphates/Nitrates. Pentair has the following in their intellichlor manual:"Nitrates and Phosphates can cause extremely high chlorine demands and will deplete chlorine from your swimming pool. In some cases nitrates may even lower your chlorine levels to zero. Your local pool professional can test for nitrates and phosphates. While a 0 ppm level of nitrates is the ideal, the pool owner should make sure that nitrates DO NOT exceed 10 ppm. Phosphates should not exceed 125 parts per billion (ppb)"
Is this just in there to scare us into the pool store, or do phosphates and nitrates increase chlorine demand?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.