How long after adding liquid chlorine ( maintenance mode) should you wait b4 swimming

ionizer

Gold Supporter
Jun 7, 2016
Marlboro, NJ
Hi all,

Assuming a balanced and clear pool and you are adding liquid chlorine just to keep your levels up (meaning you haven't fallen below min thresholds and aren't attempting to shock the pool with the dosaging) - how long should you wait after adding liquid chlorine before going in the pool?

Assume scenario:
FC: 6
CC: ~0
CYA: 60

Ideal Target FC = 7
Min Target FC = 5

So say you add enough liquid chlorine, per pool math, to bring you just around 7.5 to 8.0 FC. How long should you wait before going in the pool, assuming pump is running to circulate? Is there a set time or is 10-30 minutes sufficient to let it distribute and because your anticipated FC level is within normal use range, you don't have to wait that long?

Brushing is an absolute essential part of good pool management. You don't have to do it daily but you have to do it.

If you are fearful of tearing your liner you might need a new brush.

Yes, I am working on the new brush part. There are certain corners of my pool and thus the liner that are prone to being ripped (i now have a giant ugly patch in two spots as a result) and i am waiting to purchase the perfect 360 brush that will be less likely to cause it, but many of the reviews of these brushes state they break...so still holding out

what if i am lazy and fearful of tearing my liner more with my brush and thus i did not brush anything around and simply allowed the pump to do that?

LOL. Even more of a reason to jump right! Srs though, an 8.0 FC isn't hurting anyone. For generations people have been made to believe high chlorine is the enemy.... Causes dry skin, red eyes, itchy skin. None of that way of thinking is true. It's your friend. Pour it in, jump on in, and splash around. That'll mix her up.

LOL. Even more of a reason to jump right! Srs though, an 8.0 FC isn't hurting anyone. For generations people have been made to believe high chlorine is the enemy.... Causes dry skin, red eyes, itchy skin. None of that way of thinking is true. It's your friend. Pour it in, jump on in, and splash around. That'll mix her up.

i just wasn't sure how long it took to spread around and whether there was a semi-standard "wait 30 minutes"

its less about me and more about ensuring the 2yo's safety...ya know delicate skin and what not

i just wasn't sure how long it took to spread around and whether there was a semi-standard "wait 30 minutes"

its less about me and more about ensuring the 2yo's safety...ya know delicate skin and what not

well at this point it's been 2 hrs, so i think its safe even if i havent brushed

yeah 2 hours is definitely plenty of time... If my pool is nice and clear and I am ready to jump in I will dose with chlorine after I get out. It's also good practice to test, dose, and then put on sunscreen and wait at least 15 minutes for that to dry on to your skin before jumping in :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.