cloudy water?

mkt624

Jun 1, 2008
Ardmore, Oklahoma
I have switched to the BBB method about 2wks ago & started with a somewhat green pool with just about no chlorine. It was clear until we started having about 3-4 wks of constant rain that caused all kinds of problems. I then decided to go with the BBB method & have got all my tests in shape but the water is still cloudy at about the 2' mark down. I have know idea why it has not cleared up yet. I backwash & rinse everyday for the last week or so. I had purchased a 6 way test kit from Walmart before I started working on the BBB method & plan on buying a better kit when I use up this kit.

FC 4
TA 100
PH 7.5
CYA 60

Welcome! :wave:

Sand filters take a while to clear up an algae bloom. Keep the filter running 24/7 and sometimes backwashing too frequently can be a problem too. Are you backwashing because the pressure is rising or just because you think the more the better? Sometimes dirty sand filters better...crazy, I know. For this reason we sometimes recommend adding a little DE to the sand as a filtration aid. Read about that in Pool School.

Since you can't test the FC very well with your kit, you really need to keep your pool at shock level until the water is completely crystal clear. If you had the FAS-DPD test that would be easier to know when you are done shocking. But if you want to wait until this kit is used up, it could take a lot longer.

See the chart in my sig. Your shock level is 24. You need to keep the FC up until the water is clear.

My personal opinion is you should not wait to order the recommended kits. The 6-way is a nice practice kit and a way to "get by" until the real kit arrives, as it's a bit more reliable than strips. But if you can swing the "grown-up" kit, I'd highly recommend you order it sooner rather than later.

Your TA and PH are perfect, by the way :goodjob:

I will stop backwashing until needed & I always run pump 24/7. I also need to know what would cause what looks like bubbles on the surface of the water during different times of the day. I really get alot when I hook up my vac. I do not have any leaks in any of the suction lines, basket seal, or vac hose. Would the addition of the 20 Mule Team Borax cause any tiny foam like bubbles. I have only added 4 boxes so far, the calculator says for me to add like 13 so I am adding a little at a time because of not having alot locally.

mkt624 said:
I will stop backwashing until needed & I always run pump 24/7. I also need to know what would cause what looks like bubbles on the surface of the water during different times of the day. I really get alot when I hook up my vac. I do not have any leaks in any of the suction lines, basket seal, or vac hose. Would the addition of the 20 Mule Team Borax cause any tiny foam like bubbles. I have only added 4 boxes so far, the calculator says for me to add like 13 so I am adding a little at a time because of not having alot locally.

If you get a lot of bubbles when you hook up the vac it sounds like you are sucking air from some where...sometimes these tiny air leaks are very hard to detect.

No, borax shouldn't cause any foaming/bubbles. Your levels are good where they are, why are you adding more borax?

Did you add any algaecide?

Ok I finally got the TF-100 kit. My pool is still not completely clear & I have no idea what else to do. I have had TC as high as orange on my old HTH 6-way kit & kept it there for about 4 days but didn't seem to do any good. Here are my results:

FC 5.5
CC .5
TC 6
pH 7.5
T/A 90
CH 160
CYA 50
TEMP IS 80

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've had the same clouding problem. It takes alot of POP. I switched to BBB just this year & have bought the TF100 testkit. I've cleaned my sand filter & it needed it. Kept FC up to shock level, & just waiting it out. It will get there. I can see a little further down every couple days. I'm finally just starting to see the pattern on the bottom & I can just make out my Aquabug pool cleaner moving around. My 20'ish son & friends have been helping out by swimming. One evening of horsing around in it by them, & walla.. my filter needs backwashing the next morning. Otherwise, the clean filter pressure just seems to hang on 12# for days. Just keep your numbers in line, keep a good shock level in it, & it will clear eventually. Hang in there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.